Issues with brakes

Alright from what I've seen it's probably the brake lines but I'd like some second opinions... my brakes stick on, but I can release them by pulling the pedal back with my foot, and also there are times when they don't stick, but pretty much all the time the pedal never returns far enough to engage the brake switch and turn off my brake lights. I've lubed all the points indicated in diagrams, loosened the mounting bolt slightly on the booster bracket and pedal box to see if that was the issue, and it's not fixed it. Also sometimes if I stab the brakes they will engage and then release. Brake lines are going to be replaced with ss lines within two weeks, but I wanted to know if it was likely any other bits needed replacing... could a return spring wear out enough to cause this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your suspicions are likely to be correct - deterioration and clogging in the rubber brake lines.  I'm not too familiar with the LHD pedal boxes but RHD boxes have a pedal spring which can break (probably wouldn't cause the symptoms you describe though and you would have noticed it). Those who are more savvy than I will chime in regarding the master cylinder return spring.  If the brake locking is confined to rear wheel or wheels then the rear brake cylinders could need replacing - check to see if any fluid is leaking from them.  If confined to front calipers (rubbing pads) then the problem again could be in the master cylinder.  In RHD cars the internals of an old master cylinder can deteriorate and cause a piston to break through a seal resulting in an inability for the system to pull the pistons back from the pads.  I would start with the brake lines as you plan to do and go from there.  All the best with it and don't forget to let us know what the solution ends up being for those who have the same problem in the future.

Dan

I pulled my car in while at work for an impromptu inspection with a lift and wheel cylinders are good, the pedal return spring in the box is still connected but looks to be original so I will probably replace that while I do lines. When the brakes "lock" it applies all four brakes evenly and it feels exactly how it would under normal braking, the pedal just doesn't retract back and it feels as though I have a "phantom" foot on the pedal until I pull it back up with my toe, and everything returns to normal. I'm led to believe it's the lines as they are cracking and showing their age... I just wanted more opinions before I dug into it and found myself waiting on more parts and without my trusty daily driver. I appreciate the time and knowledge dan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlytle has a great write-up on using the IE repair kit but the OEM bushings are still available:   https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/spacer-35-03-16.html

And: https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/spacer-35-04-08.html

If you're taking out the pedal box refresh every piece that is still available at the same time.  You won't have to see again it for the next 40 years.