Head rest adjustment/removal?

Whaledriver

1975-76 seats have a headrest release button on the left side of each backrest. Earlier seats don't have a release button, and...the support rods rust to the internal guides.  When this happens, I've found that the best solution is to remove the back covers for the backrests and gently hammer the supports upward.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Thanks for the photos. I am curious when viewing the headrest post, as the notches on your photo show them facing the rear. I haven't jumped into removing the backing yet but my notches are facing toward the front! Could that be a problem with my headrests being stuck or is there no difference which way they face?

What are the notches engaging?

Regardless of notches facing whichway, you got to get hold of that sliding bracket (pix 3&4) and move it inward in order for the bracket notch gets lined up with headrest posts notches, then pull it up. Those four funnel things are very briddel. Try not to destroy them.

Post a few pictures of yours. It makes it easier...

4 hours ago, Buckeye said:

Regardless of notches facing whichway, you got to get hold of that sliding bracket (pix 3&4) and move it inward in order for the bracket notch gets lined up with headrest posts notches, then pull it up.

As Steve/Conserv noted, the pix are for the '75-'76 style with the headrest release button on the side of the seat back. Earlier headrests posts are a friction-fit, so remove the 2 screws at the bottom of the seat back panel so you can see the head rest posts. Then get the rust penetrator and go about extricating them!