• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introduction: 1976 2002 Project in LA

Hello,

My name is Peter and I recently bought a 1976 2002 that hasn't been on the road since 2000. Original black paint, pretty complete and unmessed with. All smog stuff is still there. Pretty dry - some rust in driver's door and surface rust spots all over (beach car I am guessing.) I've had it for about three weeks. After a days work, I got it to 'drive around the block condition.' Of course, a million things need to be done, so I drove it back in the yard and took it apart again. 2002FAQ has already been very helpful. I have been delighted so far by the relative low cost and availability of parts.

I took the radiator to Burbank Radiator and had them recore it for $300. Not cheap (especially as a $75 radiator showed up on craigslist a day later) but it is nice to know it is done right and tested.

Alternator makes some noise, replacing water pump, thermostat, all radiator and heater hoses, already replaced cap/rotor/points/plugs. Bought a brand new, stock water choke Weber for cheap enough that it convinced me to not rebuild. Have belts and water temp sensor to install. Need to do brakes - bought a set of rebuilt, new pad calipers on ebay for good price. Bought an OEM windshield and rear window seals but haven't installed them yet. Replaced mechanical fuel pump as it was leaking out the weep hole. Replaced fuel lines and fuel filter. Drained tank and looked inside.

About me, I live in Newhall and have a bike store in LA called Coco's Variety. I also have a 1948 Chevy Panel 1-ton truck, a 1950 Studebaker Champion (patina special, for sale), a 1962 Porsche 356 basket case and a 1971 Porsche 911T. Daily driver is a 2000 Chevy Silverado 4WD that I bought new in 1999 and now has 221k miles.

I am collector / picker and always on the look out for the best stuff.

https://cocosvariety.com/pages/want-list   <- Want List

@cocosvariety on Instagram

Thanks very much!!

FullSizeRender(2).jpg

FullSizeRender(1).jpg

14 hours ago, reluctantly said:

Hi Peter,  

I heard about you and your car from Robin.  Welcome to the club! :-)

Hey! Hi! Robin took on a ridiculous project from the same place!

9 hours ago, OriginalOwner said:

Welcome !!

A '48 1-ton ??  Back when I was a smart young man I had a '48 1/2-ton ..... then I got older & dumber and sold it .... here's a picture .....

Cheers,

Carl

BPT1.JPG

Hey Carl!

That's a neat truck! Mine has been an adventure truck since the 1950s! The black and white photo is from Death Valley in the 50's.

It is a neat story: https://cocosvariety.com/pages/1948-chevrolet-1-ton-panel-truck-aka-big-red

58f389464919c_BigRedFront-1.thumb.jpg.ca67e5de67994fceb33262b8548fad37.jpg

Big Red Now - 1.jpg

Big Red - 1.jpg

8 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

Welcome Peter, you are a brave soul to tread down the 76-and-california route.  Looks like a great starting point though.  There are a LOT of 2002-guys in LA/OC.  Our largest annual get together is the SoCalVintage show come fall, but there are plenty of drives throughout the summer.

Hey Andrew! Thanks for the welcome!

I have been to the SoCalVintage show, but always as a spectator. Re: smog. Yeah. I know. The car was very inexpensive, but of course they don't stay that way for long. I have never had a 2002, always loved them and thought it would be a cheap way to check them out. I know better, but I was powerless when the car was in front of me, the money was in my wallet and then the money wasn't in my wallet and their project became my headache. A tale as old as time... or at least as old as automobiles.

jalopy,

A fantastic panel truck !!  That bottom picture, I'm reasonably certain I've seen that road sign at some point as my dad and I drove "everywhere" in Death Valley in the mid-to-late '60's in our 1958 Morris Minor 1000.

So you are now driving The Two Best:  a 2002 and a panel truck !!

Cheers,

Carl

BPT4.JPG

Panel_Idyllwild_1979.JPG