Re: Butchered fuel tank

'74Turbo

Hey all!: 

I've got a question/issue with the fuel thank in my car.  As the attached pics show, the tank in my car's been "modified" with a dipstick-like piece that held in place by glue.  The diagram shows a hollowed out section (circled in red).  The prior owner did a lot of jerry-rigging on parts NLA, and this is something I'd obviously like to undo.  The issue (other than the fact that the 70L tank's NLA) is that I don't know what the heck to do!  Before moving on to Plan B (whatever that'll be...) I thought I'd reach out in the hope that someone may have some tips.

Do you all have any ideas of what I can do to fix this "modification?" 

Thanks,

Mark

Gas tank.jpg

16-3.jpg

Looks to me like the fuel gauge sender failed and this is their way of figuring out how much fuel is in the tank.  If there is nothing wrong with tank it's self you might be able to modify a stock fuel level sender for the small tank to make it work.  I just checked and BMW still lists the sending unit for the 70 liter fuel tank  #62 16 1 354 268  there are 26 of them left in Germany.  Hold on to your hat, they are about $550 ea. 

3 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

That is for the carbureted cars.  You can use it but it won't reach the bottom of the tank so when it reads empty there will still be about 20 liters of fuel in the tank.  You can block the fuel outlet and just use it as a level sender, the Tii and Turbo have a separate piece that is the fuel outlet and return.