Block Date Code

Adamha

2 hours ago, JohnH said:

1987 03 21

Steve (Conserv) will be along to give us the real skinny. He loves block dates!

Thank you, John.  Yes, I LOVE casting dates!

Try the following thread:

Post a photo of the engine number (on the flat machined boss just above the starter's nose) and the block casting numbers and letters generally found between or around the 1st and 2nd cylinder freeze plugs (right/exhaust side of engine).

Below, a block cast on April 11, 1972 ("72" over ""11D" in the oval frame) became engine number 2761590, for a tii manufactured in May 1972.

Regards,

Steve

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

Edited by Conserv

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, Kingryan86 said:

Question: is the block # the same as the Vin # to the original car is came from? has anyone every attempted a database to connect people car to their original blocks?

From the factory, the car’s VIN was the same as the engine number. In my experience, the majority of surviving ‘02’s retain their original blocks.

The source cars for most “orphaned” engine blocks (i.e., blocks no longer in their original chassis) were generally wrecked or rusted beyond repair.

One of the better Alfa forums has a database of (a.) original engines, by engine number, that car owners are seeking, and (b.) engines available for sale, listed by engine number. With this clearinghouse approach, the hope is that a few cars might wind up with either their original engine or, more likely, a close substitute for the original engine.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv