Fender rolling

Dionk

I had the fender lips rolled on my 75 by my body shop before I upgraded my wheels and tires to 15x7.  The body shop did a great using a tool I purchased from Eastman(?) I think.  I didn't see it done but there was heat applied and the paint on the lips was touched up.  We were not painting the fenders.  I was very happy with the result which was recommended in several streams I had read here explaining the process.  We also sealed the seams after rolling as was recommended here.  I did use a 1/4" spacer on the front wheels, but there has been no rubbing.  

There's a fender rolling tool, about 60 bucks, available from Amazon. I purchased a heat gun to go with it, and I hear the fender roller tool works very very well, especially if you have thicker lips. There are a couple cars I'm getting to going to roll the fenders on so I figured that it would be a worthwhile purchase.

I was inspired by Steve Peterson's 2002 with Borranni steel wheels and 205 rubber, which looks fantastic.

DSCN8085.thumb.JPG.deadc87453fd5dcc12c645e38a237d9e.JPGBest regards, Peter

• Like 2

Keep in mind the rears on a squaretail are going to take way more force, as they're double layered.  

The fancy tool does work fairly well, but so does a baseball bat too.  Just depends on how much you care about paint.  I did not care about paint at all at the time, as it was a beater and I just needed race tires on it.  You can wedge baseball bat between tire and lip, and slowly roll car back and forth by hand.  The rubber of tire cushions it well, and it's altogether gentler than you'd expect.  I did damage the paint just a little, but I didn't ever use hair dryer and I didn't care.  With my recent paint job I would take far more care, but probably wouldn't even do it in the first place.  

Edited by KFunk

I did mine with a professional fender rolling tool. Buy one, (got mine on Amazon) and charge all your buddies a case of beer to borrow it  and it will pay for itself. ( But don't do it for them.... let them screw up and crack their own paint, otherwise they might take back your beer!)

Jeez Toby cut me a break. :PIMG_0534.thumb.JPG.e767d10d772ab1e797088c59e78e4bbf.JPGThe rear fender lips on a 2002 are pretty thick. I rolled the fender lips on my 911 with a baseball bat and only screwed it up a little bit, back then I wasn't smart enough to get a heat gun . It took a fair amount of grunt, and even then one of the tires was getting a little chewed up and I had to go back and do more rolling. 

Sincerely, Peter

Well I had a guy come out and look at my car today....and unfortunately he opted not to try and roll them with his tool because of the rust and repairs my car has/does have around the wheel lips/arches. 

I dont car about bout the paint, it's horrible anyway, so I will try rolling it myself with the heat gun this weekend.  

The whole reason im doing this is because my e21 turbines are rubbing in the rear of the car. Thanks for all the input and the links to past discussion on fender rolling.

now I just need to find my Bat.   

Cheers

Dionk