• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conflicting VINs

ncfoto

Hi all, I've got a bit of a mystery with my 02. It has 1974 VIN of 4225555 and it shows up in 3 locations on the car. Kicker is it is an early body roundie car. It has a lone VIN stamp by right side hood lock of 1678111 which the Taylor and McCartney book I have shows as a 1970. Anybody out there have any info on either of these VINs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donor car involved, usually the right side stamping is the gold standard being the hardest to replace but that whole wing may have been replaced due to accident, or the 74 car was stripped and used to reconstruct the roundie body, need more information to get to the bottom of this like where are the 74 numbers and sign of major body work on the right side?

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Sounds like some parts have been transplanted between a couple of different cars. The '74 may have rusted beyond repair, and perhaps the title stayed with the parts and not necessarily the chassis. Wouldn't be the first time. All the serialized parts, including the VIN plate, are movable from chassis to chassis. The frame/fender stamp you mention would be the lone exception, without some artistry.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

Donor car involved, usually the right side stamping is the gold standard being the hardest to replace but that whole wing may have been replaced due to accident, or the 74 car was stripped and used to reconstruct the roundie body, need more information to get to the bottom of this like where are the 74 numbers and sign of major body work on the right side?

The 74 VINS are on block, plate and steering column. I've showed it to a few folks and we're not seeing any signs of major body work anywhere. Not that it didn't happen, but it's not apparent.

All those 74 numbers are pretty easy to move over to a new chassis I would think thats a 70 car thats been revamped with 74 parts.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

I guess my next question is, assuming somebody in this car's past took a bunch of 74 parts off a bad body and transplanted them into a good pre-71 body, why would that person transfer the VIN plate and then title it under the 74 VIN of the parts rather than the pre-71 VIN of the 1553f4c71e7da9630ab726a1d6e08f8d.jpg1fb50db2bca64a7ba1de5be77896df12.jpgbody?

There could be several reasons at one time a newer 02 would be worth more, or the PO didn't have a valid title for the 70 car, My guess is you'll never really know for sure what the real deal is so just enjoy your 74/70 2002.

George S Patton 

There could be several reasons at one time a newer 02 would be worth more, or the PO didn't have a valid title for the 70 car, My guess is you'll never really know for sure what the real deal is so just enjoy your 74/70 2002.

Agreed, I am definitely enjoying it. It'd be cool to know the story though. Until then I'll enjoy the mystery as well.
Cheers!

On 4/9/2017 at 2:12 PM, Son of Marty said:

All those 74 numbers are pretty easy to move over to a new chassis I would think thats a 70 car thats been revamped with 74 parts.

+1

Send both VIN's, in an email, to BMW Archives, and request their data on the two cars (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com).

VIN 1678111 was manufactured in 1970, but probably in the last three months, making it an early U.S. 1971 model (Taylor and McCartney only report on a calendar-year basis, which doesn't reflect U.S. model years).  VIN 4225555 was manufactured in March 1974, and is a U.S. 1974 model.  BMW Archives will be more specific.

The 1974 had a good engine and a title.  The 1971 had a decent body but probably no title and/or engine.  It was a marriage made in heaven.  Embrace diversity.

I can't quite see the interior, but the headrests appear to be late 1973/1974 style.  It will be curious to see what color the two cars were!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

+1

Send both VIN's, in an email, to BMW Archives, and request their data on the two cars (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com).

VIN 1678111 was manufactured in 1970, but probably in the last three months, making it an early U.S. 1971 model (Taylor and McCartney only report on a calendar-year basis, which doesn't reflect U.S. model years.  VIN 4225555 was manufactured some time from January to July 1974, and is a 1974 model.  BMW Archives will be more specific.

The 1974 had a good engine and a title.  The 1971 had a decent body but probably no title and/or engine.  It was a marriage made in heaven.

Regards,

Steve

I'll do that. Thanks!

btw, you have a very late 69/ early 70 2002 body.  Look at the casting marks on the aluminum parts to see what vintage drivetrain...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL