Coming to America - NYC

larryt

hey all, 

do any of you beautiful americans live in or around NYC? i am traveling there next week and wondered if anyone could recommend restaurants,clubs,bars etc..

also is anyone thinking of attending the big car show there next week?

Edited by larryt

I spent 4 days in NYC about 30 years ago. My wife and I went to one of the main attractions every morning, but by early to mid-afternoon we always found ourselves "hanging out" and walking around on 5th Avenue just watching all the stuff going on around us. It's a very interesting place, no end of unique characters doing something unique. Everyone we interacted with was quite friendly, and not just because we had money to spend (we didn't). There was the guard standing in front of the Czech consulate who waved us over and started pointing out all the cool trivialities that were within our sight. The Irish pub owner who asked us if we would prefer our beer in a mug or a glass, and said, "That's the way it's done" when we chose the glass and pointed us to a table with a good view out the window. The NYC cop who drove up onto the sidewalk to "chat" with someone illegally peddling jewelry in a doorway (the cop knew the peddler by name). The subway was fun, never felt threatened even when we ended up in Brooklyn. The Fidel wannabe walking down the middle of 5th shaking his fist and shouting in Spanish (in between the cars, no less). It was fun. I'll never forget NYC.

15 hours ago, thinksound_mike said:

Hey Larry,

I live in Brooklyn, but I'll be away next week. If you know where you're staying, I could try to recommend some spots near you to check out. The car show is way on the westside of the city, so there isn't a ton over there.

Mike

we're staying in Chelsea, do you recommend going to the show or not? it looks pretty big but i was worried as ive never heard of it before 

Larry,

I've never been. People I know who have been said it was great. I know last year BMW had a bunch of older cars along with their new ones and concept cars. The Javits Center is a huge place.

Get some dinner at Lil' Frankies on 2nd Ave. Good Italian.

Freemans is good too.

Schillers Liquor bar has a good steak.

There's really a ton of places around the city. The MOMA is always great to visit.

Check out the show. I'm sure you'll have a good time!

Mike

I worked in Chelsea for a few years. You have the Chelsea Market, it's all tourists, but a neat experience. In the basement is a bar called The Tippler. It's an old speakeasy if your into history (prohibition era bar). Across the street on 9th Ave you have The Old Homestead Steakhouse. It's expensive, but a real "old school" steakhouse. You could get tacos and a decent margarita at Dos Caminos on 14th St. There's also a German styled beer garden under the High Line (walk on a nice day) near Gansevoort St. There's honestly plenty to do in the area, but get out and do some typical touristy shit.. Top of the Rock or One World Trade for a great view of the city. If you go to the car show, be prepared for crowds. Have fun!

IMG_car.jpg

Edited by PeteRose

21 minutes ago, PeteRose said:

I worked in Chelsea for a few years. You have the Chelsea Market, it's all tourists, but a neat experience. In the basement is a bar called The Tippler. It's an old speakeasy if your into history (prohibition era bar). Across the street on 9th Ave you have The Old Homestead Steakhouse. It's expensive, but a real "old school" steakhouse. You could get tacos and a decent margarita at Dos Caminos on 14th St. There's also a German styled beer garden under the High Line (walk on a nice day) near Gansevoort St. There's honestly plenty to do in the area, but get out and do some typical touristy shit.. Top of the Rock or One World Trade for a great view of the city. If you go to the car show, be prepared for crowds. Have fun!

IMG_car.jpg

Nice looking car!

I've been to the Autoshow many times. It's huge, commercial and crowded. I like going but not on the weekends. Too many people. All the latest and greatest cars are there, or most of them anyway. Think BIG.

NYC is truly safe and cool these days. Since you coming, you have to do the touristy stuff. I might consider a BWAY show instead of the Autoshow. Last minute tickets are usually available but if your going Easter week...well, the city will be crowded. Times Square is a cluster of craziness and fun...you've got to walk through there once, although you'll go broke eating dinner there. Walk a few blocks west or east and pick a local pub instead.

Take the subway. People will help you. New Yorkers are nice, we're just fast paced and busy. Enjoy yourself! Walk everywhere.

There's no other place like it in the world.

Larry-If you are serious about food, I recommend A zagat Guide which will list all the best, yummiest places in the city. There is great food in New York City, but you have to know where to find it to get the best bang/food for your buck. For Italian food Il Mulino has been classic, and celebrated for many years. With a little planning this could be the most incredible food of your life, I usually choose several restaurants and plan ahead if I'm going to be in NYC for a couple days. I like to cook, and grew up relatively poor. Sometimes it's hard to justify spending more for a food experience, however, there are meals that I have never forgotten. With so many restaurants on an island there is incredible competition, which makes for  very high-quality food, sometimes at very reasonable prices. 

DSCN9843.thumb.JPG.f4b74c611cfeb1969bcf4bb8a06d44b0.JPGDSCN0332.thumb.JPG.fee70a542ad732106525e29027c0f86e.JPGBest regards, Peter

thanks guys! my partner has been before however she was with my sister and they just shopped till they dropped! i more into seeing some cool stuff, speakeasys, restaurants bars, eating myself into a coma and relaxing. it probably a bad time to go to NY seeing as it will be super busy but im very excited about this. if the autoshow is going to be very busy i may give it a miss as i dont want to waste a day in a crowded convention center haha

thanks again for all the advise and ill be sure to update when i return