• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Slat Covers from 73 Grills

Driv3r

Is there a trick in removing the black covers without braking the grill? I've tried heating and all sort of magic but its just not coming off without breaking the grill. Any ideas? Is the black cover made of aluminum too?

Thanks

They are aluminium. I was going to suggest giving them a warm up with a heat gun but you have already tried heat. They seem to use a rubber based contact cement so maybe something smelly like acetone could dissolve?

I stuck mine on with No More Nails!

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I have a couple of aluminum grilles and the black slats are definitely not aluminum.

They are much heavier and must be steel.

I think the weight of the slats has a bit to do with the brittle nature of the thin aluminum grilles.

I don't have any experience with removing the slats, but the ones I have have been crimped onto the grilles.

Perhaps by a previous owner?  Or was this done at the factory.

Sorry, more of a question than an answer.

Tom

DISCLAIMER 

I now disagree with some of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book. 

I've switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results. 

I apologize for spreading misinformation.  

All the slats I've seen on roundie grills have been black anodized aluminum.  The factory stuck 'em on with what looks like contact cement (AKA gorilla snot).  Mine came off easily by using my wife's hair dryer--a heat gun would work even better.  

It's possible that a PO may have reattached yours with something stronger.  Look on the back side of the grille for the yellowish glue smears that will indicate contact cement.  Acetone won't hurt anything (except you--wear gloves and work outside) on the grille, just be circumspect with the heat gun around acetone.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I just went up and snapped a few photos.

001.thumb.JPG.55ed5250b0ed38817adf667a06a3535a.JPG

I am guessing that this snipping/crimping is not done at the factory.  True?

002.thumb.JPG.caf2c10413a79eaf548ce95c69a7e13a.JPG

I did do a test and stuck a magnet on the slat covers, proving that at least these covers are steel.

003.thumb.JPG.423692ec0e17e2c29df172e544059a80.JPG

Which is not to say they all are/were made of steel....  

Tom

DISCLAIMER 

I now disagree with some of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book. 

I just went up and snapped a few photos.
001.thumb.JPG.55ed5250b0ed38817adf667a06a3535a.JPG
I am guessing that this snipping/crimping is not done at the factory.  True?
002.thumb.JPG.caf2c10413a79eaf548ce95c69a7e13a.JPG
I did do a test and stuck a magnet on the slat covers, proving that at least these covers are steel.
003.thumb.JPG.423692ec0e17e2c29df172e544059a80.JPG
Which is not to say they all are/were made of steel....  
Tom

Definitely not factory

If you examine the crimps closely it looks as if the slats are covered with thin black plastic--perhaps trim tape (like electrical tape but much more long lived).  I've never seen 'em crimped on like that from the factory, nor have I seen steel ones.   And in the pictures, one edge of the applique slat protrudes to the rear much further than the aluminum ones.  Aftermarket grill perhaps?  Shallow or deep headlight surrounds?  If off a '73, they should be the shallow ones.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

These were in a box of spare parts, from a '72 euro tii.  They are deep, I believe.

DISCLAIMER 

I dug up a couple of photos.

I have been meaning to put these up for sale.

This is helpful... although the price seems to be going down!

014.thumb.JPG.6aee31644e1242627014c579fb9f1d50.JPG012.thumb.JPG.4f8786af9afb08ee238db79a014768c3.JPG

DISCLAIMER 

While on this subject, one of mine has gone AWOL! Does anyone have the 15" black slat that is 2nd from top on passenger side.

Also noticed one wasn't attached so it might be worthwhile to check and see if any are loose.

thanks ,

Ernest

8 hours ago, mike said:

....It's possible that a PO may have reattached yours with something stronger.  Look on the back side of the grille for the yellowish glue smears that will indicate contact cement.  Acetone won't hurt anything (except you--wear gloves and work outside) on the grille, just be circumspect with the heat gun around acetone....

+1

The factory attachments -- ca. 1972 glue and a little crimping at the ends -- are generally well past their life expectancies by now.  It's the glues used during the last 40 years that concern me more.  I would also start with an acetone bath -- for the slats, that is...

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

8 hours ago, Simeon said:

I don't have any crimps on mine. Mike's description of gorilla snot sums it up. 

The "crimps" I've often seen, Simeon, are NOT very pronounced.  One might more appropriately call them "slightly pinched ends" and maybe that was just to hold the slat until the glue dried!

Best regards,

Steve

8 hours ago, '76mintgrun'02 said:

I dug up a couple of photos.

I have been meaning to put these up for sale.

This is helpful... although the price seems to be going down!

014.thumb.JPG.6aee31644e1242627014c579fb9f1d50.JPG012.thumb.JPG.4f8786af9afb08ee238db79a014768c3.JPG

Deep grilles for certain.  Are those front corner reflectors amber?

Best regards,

Steve