Need help with removing steering box and idler arm

yezzir

Hi guys,

I've been disassembling the old subframe for parts that I will reuse on a fresh subframe that I'm building up. I'm down to the steering box, in which the splined portion connected to the arm does not want to come loose; on the other end of the subframe, I also cannot get the idler arm loose and out of the bushings. the gap between the steering box and the arm is too narrow for me to fit a puller into. Is a flame torch the only answer? I have sprayed PB blaster in there in the meantime. Anybody got tips to share?

Thanks!

Jeremy

IMG_20170401_191300.jpg

IMG_20170401_191308.jpg

IMG_20170401_191339.jpg

There are pullers that will (barely) fit between the steering arm and the box.  I use a two arm puller, lots of soaker, a propane torch, and just a tad of patience.  The tad often amounts to a couple of days worth of soaking, heating and pulling.  The coup de grace usually also involves a ball peen hammer tapping the joint while  using the  puller.  When the arm does come off make sure it has something soft to land on, preferably not you.

19 minutes ago, halboyles said:

There are pullers that will (barely) fit between the steering arm and the box.  I use a two arm puller, lots of soaker, a propane torch, and just a tad of patience.  The tad often amounts to a couple of days worth of soaking, heating and pulling.  The coup de grace usually also involves a ball peen hammer tapping the joint while  using the  puller.  When the arm does come off make sure it has something soft to land on, preferably not you.

Thanks! I had my harbor freight puller set, but I just looked up some jaw pullers out there. Think these ones will do the job, and are they a good value?

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-Mechanical-Grip-O-Matic-Puller-Reversible/dp/B000KJ29Q4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491102483&sr=8-1&keywords=jaw+puller

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-Mechanical-Grip-O-Matic-Puller-Reversible/dp/B0002SRFN0/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1491102711&sr=8-18&keywords=jaw+puller

Edited by yezzir

I broke two of my pullers trying to remove the arm from the steering  box, before taking it to the local rent-it-center to get a proper tool.  The guy was super nice and had me put it in their viSe, to simply do it there, free of charge.  "just come back when you need something" he said.  

It took a lot of force to get mine to pop.  In fact, I stripped their half inch craftsman ratchet trying.  He then gave me a 3/8" snappy ratchet and a cheater bar, which got the job done.

The puller that did the job was this style (maybe not exactly though)

Image result for ball joint puller

I would recommend taking yours to a similar facility and simply renting the tool that fits this particular application.  It is nice to have tools on hand though, so purchasing one does make some sense.  That is just my two cents.

Tom

...and I used a bearing puller/splitter, to which I bolted something very much like Tom pictures, above.

Gentle heating and cooling, penetrant, and LOTS of force required, for mine.  I have a 12mm ball

(probably out of a CV) that goes between the puller and the shaft- I find I can get a lot more twist that way.

Yup, they're a bear.  But also not the sort of thing you want coming apart on its own...

t

I have done twenty-four boxes to date.  Tried all sorts of methods.

Simplest and most effective for me has been a heavily-supported bearing splitter, with the box placed upside down in an appropriate press.   Apply heat evenly with a torch.  Have a nice soft landing for the box under the press.

Edited by AceAndrew