Factory​ option OD 5 speed on 73 Tii?

alixta

I just found out from the original delivery docket that my 73 RHD Tii was delivered with a 5 speed transmission (& an lsd).

I'd always assumed the car had a 4 speed as I had never driven it and it is in fairly stock condition.

Upon further investigation today I have confirmed it IS a 5 speed but appears to be the non dogleg overdrive shift pattern.

Now I'm no '02 guru but my understanding is the only 5 speed option available in 73 was the CR box with dogleg pattern. Is that right? If so I'm guessing that sometime over the past 44 years the 235 box got swapped for 245.

The only if thing is, to me, the rear gearbox mount looks factory, which wouldn't be the case for a 245? However the centre support bearing mount bracket looks decidedly non factory as does the welding on the front of the tailshaft.

I'll throw some pics up & let you guys decide :-) Thanks in advance.

dbe884f25b71ca19fb43bbbc2f76d8de.jpg

756a1050b6968d990a0877753dc4138a.jpg

7804f9bda89902ddaa61af8f7da31277.jpg

07860403194bc6d3cf267ed9cccf1d49.jpg

33c763784a00a0ae07fd59d87ad1e208.jpg

Right.  There was no such animal as an overdrive 5-speed for the '02 in 1973.  I thought that factory installations of the close-ratio, dog-leg transmission simply positioned the same 4-speed rear mount brackets about 3 1/2" rearward of the 4-speed location.  But I can't tell you why I thought that, so it could be wrong!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

3 minutes ago, Buckeye said:

Drive shaft to Giubo hardware (hex bolts and nuts) installed wrong. Hex bolt head to Giubo side and hex nuts to drive shaft flange

I live 'dangerously' on this spec ... with the nuts all backed-up against the gearbox, there's less chance of catosrophic failure should the guibo fail. In my understanding, the important factor is to avoid twisting against the flex disc when tightening the hardwarel (which can be done with the right wrench and by removing the cross brace).

I'd get dinged style points on the lawn and amongst the purists, for sure. -KB

IIRC the dogleg 5 speed and OD 5 speed are about the same length--there's a 90mm plug in the 5 speed box between the main gearbox housing and the end plate which contains that fifth gear.  So swapping a dogleg for an OD wouldn't involve moving those tranny mounts.  For factory-equipped dogleg 5 speeds (as was pointed out, there was no factory OD 5 speed in a 2002) that's what the factory did--simply welded the brackets rearward of where they would have been placed for a 4 speed.  And from your pictures, all that original paint (and no burn marks) surrounding the bracket welds points to them being factory installed.

Suspect the OD 5 speed was installed when a PO discovered that innards for the dogleg were mostly unobtanium in availability and price...and it was an easier install than reverting to a 4 speed.

Another thing that points to someone messing with your setup:  the rear tranny mount in your pictures is either from an E21 320 or a Bavaria--it's about twice as large as the OEM 2002 item--and is a good replacement as it's a lot longer lived.

What's the wire that is clipped to the shifter bracket support?  Those crimped connectors don't look stock either...

cheers

mike

Thanks all. In some ways I'm bummed it's not the original factory installed 5 speed box, but given yesterday I thought the car was a 4 speed without​ an LSD I can't complain [emoji1] Plus I do have a 5 speed chassis & just saved a few thousand dollars on the inevitable 245 + LSD conversion.

Here's another pic which shows something non OEM has happened down there. Surely this is not the original mid bearing support bracket?

Question is why would the tailshaft need changing when swapping from a 235 to 245? I thought they were same length boxes? Maybe the output splines didn't match so they bodged in the e21 shaft?

694195435f354dc51afffe440aadb568.jpg

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

...and automatic dashes don't have a shift diagram on them...

just to add another point of confusion.

t

Did factory close-ratio 5-speed cars even come with a dashboard shift diagram?  I have NO idea.  But there are OEM close-ratio shift knobs with the dog-leg pattern on them -- whatever that means!

Regards,

Steve

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

Did factory close-ratio 5-speed cars even come with a dashboard shift diagram?  I have NO idea.  But there are OEM close-ratio shift knobs with the dog-leg pattern on them -- whatever that means!

Regards,

Steve

We should ask Conserv.

Oh snap!

:D