Bent oil distribution pipe - over head

I have been ignoring this since I bought i last fall. The oil distributor pipe, or what ever it's called, on top of the head has a bend on the forward end. I can't figure out how this happened or if I should try to straighten it out. Unknown mileage, but the head shows 1980 and odometer is at 67K or 167K.  Seems to run fine.

DSC_3830.JPG

I can't remember if there are any holes in the end to put oil on the timing chain or not, so you might want to check that, but even so I doubt that bend would cause an issue. Speaking of, looks like someone changed to a single row chain and sprockets, so you know you car has  previously had some thoughtful maintenance done!

2 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

I can't remember if there are any holes in the end to put oil on the timing chain or not, so you might want to check that, but even so I doubt that bend would cause an issue. Speaking of, looks like someone changed to a single row chain and sprockets, so you know you car has  previously had some thoughtful maintenance done!

There's a hole on the end of the tube which squirts oil onto the groove in the camshaft where the 'lock' rides. -KB

3 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

The single row was used on post 2002 m10's so somewhere along the line your chain and sprocket have been changed, no big deal it'll work fine.

+1 - I put single-row set-ups on all my race engines (just a little less mass to spin....). -KB

Yes, sorry, didn't mean to concern you, just indicates that in all likelihood, your chain, sprockets, guides, and tensioner at least have been replaced at one point; in my opinion a very good thing! I see it as a sign that a previous owner cared properly for the car, and some of the important parts are newer than 40+ years old!

On 4/1/2017 at 9:35 AM, Son of Marty said:

The single row was used on post 2002 m10's so somewhere along the line your chain and sprocket have been changed, no big deal it'll work fine.

What is the VIN number on your block?  The factory replacement motor on my 1975 has a single-row timing chain, yours could be same.

Mark92131