Tsingtao_1903

Magnesium wheels restoration

24 posts / 1885 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

I found a local shop who does restoration on magnesium wheels to my satisfaction.  So, they are done.  Also, my other set from Italy arrived.  The condition was no better or worse.  I will also have them restored as well.  

campys.png.2aec99ecaea1cf1fab4cc2e3d3c49ab8.png

Edited by Tsingtao_1903
  • Like 1

The second set is done.  I was fortunate to have found a wheel shop who uses a chemical "GreenSolv" to strip the old paint/prime off the wheels instead of media blasting.  Also, since there was some controversy regarding powder versus wet paint, I did some research to decide for myself - powder or not to powder.

We know that Campagnolo used a magnesium alloy "Elekron" for their wheels.  After some research, I believe Elektron 21 was the most likely alloy since it was a very popular magnesium casting material at the time.  Looking up the properties of Elektron 21, after casting, the parts must be aged at ~400F for 16 hours to relieve casting stresses and to achieve the designed mechanical properties.  It is so happened that typical curing time and temperature for powder coating is 10-12 minutes at 400-450F.  One can argue that 10 minutes out of 16 hours of aging is not going to make any difference.  For me, after investing significant time and efforts into these wheels, I am not going to take the risk however trivial.  So, I chose wet prime, paint and clear coat for all these wheels.  As a bonus, all the casted letters and symbols retained their sharp features and reliefs.  :)

I will be breaking up the second set.  Keep one as a spare and will be listing the other three in the next few weeks for those who want to have a spare for their set.

IMG_4253.jpg.d6c1ef77a1eec1114550dcd7f32c3e2b.jpg

• Like 3

I, too, am an old bicycle whore enthusiast.  I love that they are Campy wheels.  They look beautiful.

On 2/22/2019 at 3:38 PM, Tsingtao_1903 said:

The second set is done. 

You are killing me.  All the years I had a 2002, the only set I ever found are the ones I sold with my car.  You have 2 sets.  Crazy.

These will always be my favorite wheels for a 2002.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kidasters said:

You are killing me.  All the years I had a 2002, the only set I ever found are the ones I sold with my car.  You have 2 sets.  Crazy.

These will always be my favorite wheels for a 2002.

You should get some.

Oh wait!

:D

• Haha 1