• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Campagnolo on ebay

Tsingtao_1903

This is the re-listing after a no-interest listing.  The first listing had no buy-it-now option, and a minimum bid of $400.  Not one single offer!  Someone could have gotten them for $400....

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

4 hours ago, danco_ said:

Looks like these were cast in 1976.

I just sold my set for $1700 to a local guy with no bolts. They were in much nicer condition though.

Strong sale, Ryan!

And these sat on eBay for 8 or 9 days at a $400 minimum bid, and not ONE bid.  I just couldn't justify another set of rims...

Best regards,

Steve

What do you guys think about the wheel with the corrosion on the outer lip? It's the one with the 'C' missing from the campagnolo sticker? Looks like a bit of material has disintegrated.

Thanks,

Bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

20 minutes ago, bob02 said:

What do you guys think about the wheel with the corrosion on the outer lip?

Can't tell for sure from the picture.  It appears to me that's where the lead weight was attached.  What is there now could be gunk build up behind the weight.  If it were disintegrated chunk of material, I think the plastic sticker would be lifted up at the broken edges.  (Pure conjectures on my part).

Ask the seller to provide closeups if you need to know.

PS.  If it were corrosion, magnesium corrosion looks like white bloom similar to dried up salt water.  I should know, I have a set :D

Edited by Tsingtao_1903

Thanks Tsingtao! I have a set of CD40'S on the car now, and know the fragile nature of magnesium:D. Daniel knows a thing or two about mags too! Man, I've lusted after a set of these for a long, long time!!!

Bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

6 hours ago, bob02 said:

Looks like a bit of material has disintegrated.

Bob, you are correct.  I contacted the seller out of curiosity.  This is his reply: "The area you mentioned is corroded, probably 1/16 deep at the deepest. That area was not under a wheel weight."

On 3/28/2017 at 0:28 PM, Tsingtao_1903 said:

Can't tell for sure from the picture.  It appears to me that's where the lead weight was attached.  What is there now could be gunk build up behind the weight.  If it were disintegrated chunk of material, I think the plastic sticker would be lifted up at the broken edges.  (Pure conjectures on my part).

Ask the seller to provide closeups if you need to know.

PS.  If it were corrosion, magnesium corrosion looks like white bloom similar to dried up salt water.  I should know, I have a set :D

I must admit that the worst corrosion on my Ragno's occurred underneath the old wheel weights.  Here's one of the rims after the weights were removed but before restoration (first two photos) and the same rim after restoration (third photo).  I'll let you guess where the wheel weights were located, before and after.  

Regards,

Steve

IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_0965.JPG

IMG_2004.JPG

Great restoration job.  The restored wheel looks gorgeous.  I have not done anything to mine other than a light cleaning and visual inspection for hairline cracks and corrosion.  I have not been able to find any magnesium wheel restorer I can trust - yet.  :(

BTW, I found a non-chromated surface treatment for magnesium.  I wired brushed a few spots and applied the treatment vs a few control spots.  The solution worked well.  It's not a substitution for good prime and paint, but, it has to do for now.  http://pantheonchemical.com/prekote-surface-pretreatment/

Best regards,

Trieu