• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOT: Edd China Quits Wheeler Dealers

jrhone

Well one of my favorite car shows looks like is going to get worse...and Edd China doesn't want to be a part of it anymore.  Cool guy met him once in a parking lot and he insisted on taking pics next to the 02.  Watching Edd over the years has given me the confidence to do LOTS of various 02 projects on the car.  I look forward to his show in the future...

http://jalopnik.com/edd-china-is-leaving-wheeler-dealers-because-velocity-w-1793498487

58d298e084d05_eddchinaJR.thumb.jpg.b631da352b6eec05900e8e80610b62bd.jpg

Edited by jrhone

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

That is a bummer.  He really made the show. 

Although he had the perfect garage to make things look "easy", I'm right there with you when you say he gave you the confidence to work on the car.

My "fun" cars so far:                                                                                                                                                                                                            My restoration website:

1976 BMW 2002a                                                                                                                                                                                                           http://www.2002and914.com

1975 Porsche 914

Dang!  Bummer +1.

Edd was definitely the "added value" on the show.

Looking forward to seeing what his new venture will be...

-Bob (still too much salt on the roads in NY to take Schatzi out)

-Bob
(current: 1972 Malaga 2002, VIN 2584644, build date July 26, 1972)

Previous: 1973 Sahara 2002 #2585896 (RIP), 1969 1600, 1971 2002, 1964 Triumph Herald convertible, 1965 Triumph Herald convertible, 1961 Triumph TR3A, 1967 Triumph TR4A-irs, 1959 Austin Healey 100/6, and about 10 other cars (most of which were quite boring)...

Really bummed. He was one of the most informative mechanic on any of the shows. Emphasized the frugal approach. Ed took you through the key points of the process. Unlike the other Velocity programs where everyone is freaking out over some stupid made up deadline, or selling products from some company...

Getting old watching some of the shows have a company drop off several thousand bucks worth of parts, crate engines, etc.  that no one could possibly ever afford on their own...(Why fix it, when company X makes this widget and for several grand,  all we have to do is open a box and install it?) 

I do hope Ed does branch out with his own show. 

No Cheers today. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

I always used to chuckle when Mike would talk about the profit he made on a car without accounting for Ed's hours of labor.  I loved the detail and explanations on all of the repairs, almost convinced me I could do body work.  He will be missed.

Job Done!

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Big Ed and his big hair:

Let's hope he don't end up at West Coast Customs, Overhauling, or In Dallas working for one of those jackasses. 

He really deserves his own program. Let's hope and maybe he can hire some All Girls Garage chics to do the heavy lifting. 

gas.jpg

But what do I know

Read all the details on Jalopnik.  Edd was the only reason I watch the show. No product placement stupidity like most shows.  I think most producers think folks only want drama like what happened on Boyd Coddington's show. Fantomworks is in the Norfolk VA area and seems ok but still likes adding drama.   Velocity channel has so many commercials it's ridiculous.

To compare themes, Motorweek on PBS still has the same type of format and gives you details without the BS. I started watching it on Maryland public TV station 32 in the 80's (before cable TV).  Had to rotate my rabbit ear antenna to receive it.  

Remember the original MTV Pimp My Ride! Loved that show even though it was scripted and things have been uncovered.  

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

1 hour ago, jgerock said:

To compare themes, Motorweek on PBS still has the same type of format and gives you details without the BS. I started watching it on Maryland public TV station 32 in the 80's (before cable TV).  Had to rotate my rabbit ear antenna to receive it.  

Motorweek has gotten much more polished over time, but gets to the point = news & reviews.  Have you noticed the drone footage at the track in recent episodes?

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

37 minutes ago, NYNick said:

Quite honestly, who watched WD to see Mike (pre) negotiate scripted sales?

Exactly. I could do without him actually.  Edd was my only reason to watch the show. Seeing them do a Fjord 2002 was great as well. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com