• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Subframe out 2000tilux

Naz

Thought I would share my progress on the 2000tilux. I'm in the midst of reassembling the engine at the same time I decided to drop the front subframe to redo the bushings and sandblast all the parts. I've decided to go with rubber bushings to keep the ride smooth and avoid the risk of annoying squeaking sounds.

New everything! is going into the front end. I don't think I missed anything.

The race to get this on the road for summer is on.

Here are some pics of the work I did last night and today.

1448fc6dc0adca172ea21e990672b19d.jpg

25c7849c1856cc0894a984b7555a915b.jpg7268d474960dfb5bf3899aa19f857fc7.jpgd54f83d52bd61c994e1cd110403f3ec4.jpgd7925edf780268475baa2c359462a832.jpg

e59a6b2af0f28fbb0e7c8234a186664c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naz, thanks for sharing your pictures. You have a serious case of Mission Creep. Things are looking quite beautiful, I'm glad to hear you went with the rubber bushings. As I said before your car was so lovely and original -something of a time capsule really, that I hope you don't change it too much.

Sincerely, Peter.

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

Peter, I was thinking about getting it black chrome wrapped..jk. I'm keeping it all original. I Still have to do the rear shocks if I want to get it on the road.
Cleaned up the steering box. It's in really good shape so I'm just changing the gaskets add grease and closing it up. 4f8c8620e7746f9d33910c0cde5c9b14.jpg

Update...front bushings are all the same as 2002. However, the oil pump chain is a different size on the 67'. I believe it's due to the size of the sprocket. I would have to buy a new oil pump to do the full conversion. Maybe I could just buy the sprocket and tap 3 holes in it to fit?? Anyway I'm going to try and use the old chain and sprocket but I'll need to shim it to get rid of some of the slack. I've attached some images showing the slack on the oil pump chain. My question is....is there any limitation to how many shims I can use?

Another picture shows the difference between the original timing chain guide and the new one I just installed. Notice how the top is squared off and is longer as well.

Replacement of the alternator bushing went well! add05152894915e99b7a7e13794fda07.jpg002a9d23498bfc328965b6a337973f38.jpgb0ea434f373288263ef8a6265bc4516f.jpgc573fd951e15c7c711d581da7ccdd4b1.jpg

I bet a couple of extra .1 shims would take that slack out - have just been through the same thing with the new engine for my NK. I guess the limit is when the oil pick up starts to hit the sump - but you could always fit a cheap Ireland crank scraper and a couple of gaskets - that would move the sump down loads in comparison. No experience in this, just my thoughts. 

How did you finish your alloy parts?

Looks great BTW, you must be chuffed.

polished.thumb.jpg.fa5267a0053d2fb872e148f7a5f66c03.jpg

Nick, I ordered a fist full of .03mm shims to try and make it happen. No sense is replacing a perfectly good pump. For the timing chain cover and other parts in the pic I used alimu-restore paint in attached pic. I'm told it will hold up to the heat.

Love that you still have original oil canister. I tossed mine 20 years ago when I converted over. Hey what can I say, at the time I thought it was a stupid design. Wish I kept it.

f4cbe5c65391185ab455b974796fa4d3.jpg

33 minutes ago, Naz said:

Nick, I ordered a fist full of .03mm shims to try and make it happen. No sense is replacing a perfectly good pump. For the timing chain cover and other parts in the pic I used alimu-restore paint in attached pic. I'm told it will hold up to the heat.

Love that you still have original oil canister. I tossed mine 20 years ago when I converted over. Hey what can I say, at the time I thought it was a stupid design. Wish I kept it.

I think my chain had more play than you have and it was cured with 2x .01 shims - I was surprised at how much a difference such a small shim made. You sure you bought .03 - didn't think they were available any more. 

I'm lucky enough to have 3 of the old oil canister set-ups. Prefer them for a/ the colour :-) and b/ you're only throwing away the actual filter at each oil change. 

I'm not sure what the original finish on the cast parts was. I went with fine glass bead blasting and then some wax - looks clean and old so I'm happy. 

Nick, I found a supplier in Canada that had 2 of the .03 shims left in their inventory for $3 each so I grabbed them. I almost prefer what you have done with the glass beading and clear. It gives it the antique look. Nice work.