• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New product idea...Bluetooth fan controller thoughts?

jrhone

I have been thinking about this idea and the technology is there and it should be pretty easy and inexpensive to do. I'd love a Bluetooth controllable electric fan controller.  

This is could be done similarly to the 123/Tune distributor. You program it to turn on and off at custom temps and set it. You could even set it for low power under certain situations and even to run for a few minutes after shut down under certain situations. You could even run it from the standard temp wire and not require a separate temp switch.  No need for drilling into radiators, getting a 2 or 3 port water neck or getting different temp sensors, you could simply set it how you like and away you go.  

Interest?   Thoughts?

Edited by jrhone

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Seems like a bit of technology overkill when thermostatic fans already do that.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

It's not a bad idea but a fan controller wouldn't see the 'playing' that a 123 does so would the Bluetooth be justified? Plug in a USB port, set the values necessary and then tweak again by plugging in again later on. You might do this 3 times and then not connect again for... 5 years?

running it off the same temperature sender is not a bad thing but there is a lot to be said for having redundancy between the two. If for some reason your gauge was reading low (a poor connection) then not only would your gauge be low but the fan would not switch on. As independent systems your fan would come on regardless of the reading on the gauge, saving your engine or if your fan switch failed you would see your temp climb and then stop if you could. 

There is definitely room for these kind of programable micro controllers onboard classic cars to back fill 'deficiencies' in their original design (unfair on the designers I know) but you just need to think about the application and whether or not it is going to bring something comparable to the existing system but better in performance in a number of ways other than just the ability to be changed and reconfigured. 

Sorry. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I'm not sure I understand the application here.

I could see it for hot rods and show cars that are designed for looks and have smaller radiators mated to huge engines and only get drive to and from shows. And I guess there would be 2002 applications in that vein. Or old british cars that had too little radiator from the factory and would overheat in traffic as a rule. But for a car that is designed to be driven, and has a radiator that is properly sized to the engine, I don't see how this would be an improvement over a traditional thermostat that turns on the fans at some pre-set temperature.

Zach

My fan already automatically adjusts in variable speed 0 to 100%. But the right ECU and a solid state relay and it's a piece of cake.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

LOL....ok...maybe I am overthinking things...just a bit.  I still think a simple, programmable electric fan controller would be sweet.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

Nah- if making it addressable by bluetooth pushes you to do it- then DO it!  That's the hard part, usually...  

heh

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

11 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

Seems like a bit of technology overkill when thermostatic fans already do that.

BT progammable fan controller?  really?  sounds like the answer to a question nobody is asking.   overuse of technology where a simple oem switch works perfectly...

2xM3

37 minutes ago, mlytle said:

BT progammable fan controller?  really?  sounds like the answer to a question nobody is asking.   overuse of technology where a simple oem switch works perfectly...

Could be, but I could see how this would work much better than the switch I have in the car now.  The switch turns on at a certain temp and off at a certain temp.  OK.  Basic.  But in traffic, wouldn't it be cool to have it come on at lower constant speeds?  Or maybe in colder climates to run a tad hotter? Or in really hot climates a tad cooler?  In some applications a dual fan system may be nice?If it runs off the same sensor as the stock gauge then no extra sensor parts needed.   Saving money and making it easier to install.  How many posts have we seen asking how to hook up an electric fan?  Where to put the sensor? What temp switch? Bluetooth just means I can control it easily from an app.  Its basically this existing product thats programmable from a phone....

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-pac-2750

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

4 hours ago, mlytle said:

Lol, without question my favorite part of this thread was waiting for your response mlytle...you didn't disappoint! I would have paid strong money to see your facial expression at the moment when you first viewed the phrase "Bluetooth programmable fan controller!"

Overkill or not, I do appreciate the creativity and individuality here.

COOP

11 hours ago, COOP said:

Lol, without question my favorite part of this thread was waiting for your response mlytle...you didn't disappoint! I would have paid strong money to see your facial expression at the moment when you first viewed the phrase "Bluetooth programmable fan controller!"

Overkill or not, I do appreciate the creativity and individuality here.

COOP

LOL!  glad to entertain COOP!  i agree, love to see creativity!

there is no kill like overkill.....

(even though i do technology for a living, part of the decision process is whether it is a good place to insert it or not.  just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD.   kinda like i can't stand driving my wife's X3 because of the #$%^&* keyless pushbutton start sequence instead of a simple key, and the push button electric e-brake that you can only use when parked instead of the fool proof manual handle that can be used to incite nice oversteer in snowy or wet parking lots.....not that i would EVER do that....;-))

Edited by mlytle

2xM3