• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any tips on seized brake lines?

RamcoNorris

022317.thumb.jpeg.107eb11140aa60ab0c2db1f7ea71feae.jpegTrying to replace my brake lines with new SS brake lines but the flare nuts are seized. I've only managed to change one line out of 6. I've tried penetrating oil, heat and force. I'm stating the think I'm just going to have to replace the lines from the master cylinder if I can't get these loose. Anyone have a secret tip that might help. I know its doubtful since they're just nuts but maybe?

Recent picture since I feel like sharing

Edited by RamcoNorris

'72 2002 Malaga

Are you using flair nut wrenches? a good set will help keep from striping the flair nuts , how do they make the nuts so soft anyway? penetrating oil overnight or longer as it's not the treads but the flair thats probably seized. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 hour ago, Son of Marty said:

Are you using flair nut wrenches? a good set will help keep from striping the flair nuts , how do they make the nuts so soft anyway? penetrating oil overnight or longer as it's not the treads but the flair thats probably seized. 

I bought a set for for the job and while they hold better, still not enough. 

48 minutes ago, JohnS said:

This article might help:

Thank you, I'll give this a shot

'72 2002 Malaga

Those v- jawed vice grips are pretty darned amazing. 

What I found was that  a good soak, then a tight- fitting flare wrench followed

by several pretty hard whacks on the wrench with a moderate sized hammer seemed

to have the best chance of getting the nuts to break loose- if they were going to.

I've even resorted to using vice grips OVER the flare wrench to really squeeze it tight.

As with all stuck fasteners, heat, penetrating oil and vibration ('hitting it appropriately')

applied repeatedly all helps.

fwiw,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Naw.

Just correcting speeling in two posts.

I was classroom champion in the spelling bee. In grade 5.

My last notable achievement!

:)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Best advice I can offer is get a SnapOn 7/16" flare nut combination wrench - 7/16" is a tight 11mm and it has never failed me...  I also have a Mac brand that I have used for years as well...   ALL other wrenches spread like a nickle trick leaving you heartbroken with stripped nuts...  and as others have advised, heat and penetrating oil are your friend...  Good Luck!

WTB: 1.6L Aft (cyl 3&4) or Set of Side Draft Manifolds - Dellorto parts - Littlejohn BMX

5 minutes ago, Chester said:

Best advice I can offer is get a SnapOn 7/16" flare nut combination wrench - 7/16" is a tight 11mm and it has never failed me...  I also have a Mac brand that I have used for years as well...   ALL other wrenches spread like a nickle trick leaving you heartbroken with stripped nuts...  and as others have advised, heat and penetrating oil are your friend...  Good Luck!

I will emphasize this.  Flare nut wrenches are worth splurging on.  I have used Harbor Frieght, Craftsman, whatever-that-cheap-amazon-brand-was, all of them were frustratingly bad.  Their poor tolerances offered only as much grip on the nut as your typical open ended wrench.  

Other than that, everyone's just about nailed it.  Hope you get it worked out.  If the worst happens, let me know if you end up needing some new hardlines.

Some tools you can buy a lesser quality than others but as Chester and Andrew said flair nut wrenches are not the place to save money, also make sure you are parallel to the nut before you pull it sound simple but in the small areas around the brakes not always easy but even a little angle and even the best wrench will start to cut into the nut.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944