• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Colorado 2002ti born Feb 8 1971

Thanks for following up on that.  I found a 71 dated 121TI head that appears to be good, full deck height, no cracks I can find.  I haven't taken it to the machine shop yet, so if they find a problem with it, you'll be hearing from me...

1971 2002ti

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Krister,

If you buy a replacement unit (as I did in 2006, yes a few years ago) they are silver casing, I had a grey one (not black crackle finish as some I have seen) among the various bits that came with the car, but I have no idea if it was original. I had about 5 mechanical advance distributors, only one was black the rest were all silver and carried varying bosch designations. I actually now have a 123 distributor, my "new" Bosch distributor turned out to have uneven lobes (yes, one cam was smaller than the other three) so I junked the virtually new distributor in favour of the 123. Unless you are an originality fetishist AND show your car at concours events, I would not bother rebuilding the old units if they are worn. Just clean up the nicest one, put it on a shelf (in case you do need to participate in a show in the future) and use something that is not worn out and actually works better.

Regards, 

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

Hi there,

the black one is the 0231 129 033 as in my ti!
ti and tii distributors are very rare and most every used distributer has timing or axial shift problems which occur in bad idling.
Don´t spend much money for used ones, send the original distributor for refurbishment to a distributor doctor like http://www.vgs-motorsport.com/
They have the exact timing for the ti and the result is wonderful. Brand new (refurbished) distributor, if you whish with Fullmax electronic ignition. Works perfect!

Best Regards 

Carsten

• 9 months later...

Here is a Series 1 instrument cluster in an Alpina 02. Note that the silver trim ring surrounds and frame edges of the binnacle are blacked out along with the center portion of each instrument and each jewel on the needles. Carsten identified the similar treatment of the instrument cluster seen on Andrew's ti as being reminiscent of an Alpina 02. This image shows why:

IMG_1374.JPG

Edited by Flunder

@skyking that's an interesting binnacle, early gauges with later surroundings. Mine is an early one, the binnacle is done in grained black vinyl, the dials hand painted black. The main difference is the lack of the adjustable redline. I would not have spent the time to paint the guages...you can see the brush marks on mine up close. Alpina probably had their owns bezels done. Mine was barnyard tuning at some time before 1983...I have the central horn button from Alpina if anyone is looking for one...Don't have the steering wheel it fits (too bad, would be nice).

Regards,

Andrew 

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

I'm not sure what you mean by "later surroundings."  This is all original as built by Alpina in July, 1970. You might see some brush marks on the speedo as I had to touch it up because the black paint was flaking. The black plastic housing is textured. Did BMW do the ti gauges with black centers?

1971 Alpina 2002

=00=

Not saying it's wrong, mine is a euro-spec 1971 ti, definitely not Alpina and varies slightly from US models. Binnacle is fine, the dash surround looks thicker, cant see the heater controls on the left but the push button switches right and left stalk look later. Mine looks different. Mine doesn't have the warning light in the panel either. What is the dimple above the (warning?) light? My hazard switch is below the dashboard on the left panel next to the hood release. Your left pull switches seem to have no markings, just like mine...just due to the flash...

I think BMW had only all chrome, you can see mine at the beginning of the thread with just the center button in silver, where yours is all black. Have only seen the silver ones, other than mine, so I have no reference points. But there are a quite a few pictures of the guages in the Alpinas in articles so should be quite a few reference points.

Andrew

Left pull switches have markings; just blanked by the light from the open garage door. The dimple above the brake warning light is a test switch...push it and the warning light lights up.  The chrome band across your lower dash is like the early 1600 I bought in 1967.  Don't know when that went away for US models. My left stalk is not original...it's from a later model. The original broke.  "...center button in silver, where yours is black."  You lost me again...which buttons?

Interesting to compare the two cars.  Alpina had to build my car on a US chassis since it was being shipped directly to the port of Miami.  The Pam Am pilot who imported the car had a connection at the port, and the US cars all had the magic sticker in the engine compartment that said it conformed to emissions regs, which of course was a total lie.

1971 Alpina 2002

=00=