• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Colorado 2002ti born Feb 8 1971

Hi,

Not much activity in the group, I published an article of sorts in the general discussion for Heidi's 46th birthday, but I thought I could share here as well but with different pictures.

Mine is a far cry from Carsten's lovely example, mine has been resprayed once in 2003 and carries its original chrome and interior (except for the seats). Looking at Carsten's pictures I am happy that I did not go the full restoration route at the time because it would have been overkill and I would have been afraid to actually run it in rallies and track days. For her 50th it might make sense to freshen up the chrome, paint and get a pair of correct period sports seats, though not strictly necessary. Currently the only issues she has are with the tune of the carburetors, which will be overcome with a wideband a/f meter in the spring, hidden in the glovebox. The car has evolved a bit since I initially built it in 2000-2004, but not too much. It carries now a 123 ignition, a Simons exhaust and PE bushings but not that much else. The other mods like oil cooler, lightened flywheel, 300 degree cam and engine enhancements were all done at the beginning.

Mine has a modified instrument cluster, that someone must have made by hand and its probably the only nearly irreversible change (of course can be reversed by sourcing a complete but original ti instrument cluster at $$$ cost). You'll see what I mean...

For other pictures you can search on Heidi in the general discussions.

Andrew

Floorboards when I started were real solid, both of the front floorboards had been welded at the front edge but all the rest were nearly perfect.

101-0194_IMG.JPG

Picture still sitting on 20 year old Pirelli CN36 with mismatched E21 rims just after finishing the build.

Bild 014.jpg

Bild 016.jpg

Then, after succesfully registering it for road use

P1010001.JPGP1010005.JPG

I didn't catch on to what a PO had done to the guages at some point, but I grew to like it.

IMAG0208.jpgIMAG0210.jpg

The engine protector came with the car as part of the parts package, it seems to be nicely made and is pretty strong.

IMAG0204.jpg

This was taken in 2014 before the mechanical fuel pump made way for an electric one in the trunk with a king filter/pressure regulator. Radiator has also since been replaced with a high capacity one from W&N. At the time I had a leaky valve cover gasket, which accounts for the not so pretty conditions. The hoses have also now been swapped to avoid kinks and the distributor was replaced with a 123 unit. The wiring for the front lamps has been cleaned up since, but could be optimized even further.

IMAG0206.jpg

I was spoiled when I bought it as it came with 2 pairs of folding original keys, only catch is that the driver's door seems to have been replaced at some point and the fuel cap has not been locked for ages and needs to be disassembled.

IMAG0207.jpg

Last summer we did two track days and a number of regularity rallies which don't take too much of a toll except on the paint on the rocker panels.

ytr-trases-diena-2016-2-138.jpg

• Like 1

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

Your gauges look really good. I have never disassembled mine, only added a ground wire to the back. The PO that blacked mine out, painted them a semi-gloss black, doubt I would get it off without removing the silver underneath it as well. I just disassembled a spare clock and repaired it succesfully but I can't get plastic cover glass to be really clean. Did you use glass cleaner on the glass for the instrument cluster or something else?

Regards,

Andrew 

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

Glass cleaner and some paper towels works just fine.  Hard to keep your fingerprints off the inside of the glass though.  Maybe think of using disposable gloves while you do this work.

The (3) glass lenses are removed from the binnacle after you remove the (3) gauges using a small hex nut driver (size 6,7 or 8mm).

The (3) gauges are stepped so they are installed in a certain sequence.  After removing the gauges from behind, you can remove the glass by rotating the retaining rings with a small screwdriver or other tool.  Some folks paint the inside of the cluster white to increase the brightness of the bulbs.  Be careful if installing higher wattage bulbs or LED type bulbs.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Hi Andrew,
what a great car! :)

Also the original "PlasticKlapp" ignition key is still working. Take good care of it, they are very rare and often get broken.
Can you post the VIN? (PN)
On the pictures I can see Weber Carbs instead of Solex and the Snorkel for the Single Carb version next to the radiator . (perhaps front mask changed due older repair, the version without snorkel is not available since 40 years.)
Then I saw the gauges. They are not common with the black inlay but they are series 1. (Chrome Ring)

The cylinder head has the number 121, not 121ti.
These modifications and well made Details tell me that You have a very rare Alpina? switched  2002 to a 2002ti  !
Congratulations!

Some pics of mine:

Best Regards
Carsten

DSC_1245.JPG

mauzi.jpg

maxi.jpg

Hi,

VIN is 1695265, it was first registered on 22.Feb 1971, so 2 weeks after it was built. Its a normal ti. I think the only thing from Alpina is the wooden shift knob I have added recently...Someone wanted to build a racer, threw away the seats and had cheap 4 point harnesses mounted in the front and was probably going to go "racing". Seems that the previous owner went through a few engines, so I have no matching numbers. Probably the only original mechanical component is the LSD, which was also broken when I bought it. The certificate from BMW says nothing, except that it was Colorado in color. I have wondered about the gauges, but it is a normal 220km/h gauge so I suspect it was modified by the racer.

I had three sets of solex's but I sold all but one pair as the Weber's were 45DCOE and were in good condition. I had the head planed and raised the compression to 10,5:1, otherwise the Webers don't make a lot of sense. Now I have a slightly larger dimension exhaust, but keeping the original exhaust manifold. I think the whole nose was replaced at some point, a snorkel deletion would be easy enough to do.

The head is earlier than the car most likely, its a 1969 casting I don't know if all 2002ti's had a 121ti head. I sourced this head in ebay around 2005, with the BMW 300 degree cam already in it. It was painted red when I got it but I don't know anything else about it. The seller had bought it many years before for a motorsport project and never got around to installing it in anything. I compared the valves between the two heads styles, but they were the same 46mm size. The head is heavily ported on the intake side, perhaps almost too much and I lowered the deck height too. The car came with an engine (I was told the block is a later 2 liter block), had standard ti pistons mounted and an E12 head. The larger intake manifolds were already mounted on the E12 head. I have 2 other 121ti heads, but they would need to be line bored to accept the cam with the big journals and while they don't appear to be cracked I have not invested time in assessing their condition. The red head was complete when I bought it, with the motorsport cam so I was happy to find a complete solution. This rocker assembly has now been refurbished, but the guides are fine and you only see any oil when you really rev it high, then it will smoke ever so lightly shifting. I run the fully synthetic castrol oil with no leakage.

I have already admired the post of your restoration. The cats like your car as well! I see you mounted a mirror on the passenger side, or was it always there? The blue interior fits well with the chamonix. You also have the nice chrome wiper arms, which I have yet to acquire. Do you have the wood shift knob?

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

that explains much of the car. :)

The engine modifications you did are well done. I think that this combination matches good with that cam.

The gauges with black inlay are known from the Alpina modified cars and it is also possible that the racer wanted to imitate them with a good result. It looks similar.
With the Solexes and the ignition I had lots of trouble during the last year. After the rebuild of the car and engine the refurbished PHHs were not to become realy calm. After the ignition distributer gave up and was refurbished, it works perfectly!
The seats and the interior was original in marine blue and in horrible condition when i bought the car 6 years ago.
BMW classic had the cotton and the ceiling stuff in new and the saddler did a good job.
The right mirror on the passenger site is not original to this car, but it was orderable as an option.
I mounted it, because of safety in modern traffic situations. Also the automatic seat belts.
I have not the wooden shift knob and as well as I know this was not standard or an option.
For the chrome wiper arms, I will take a look for them and I will inform you.

Best Regards
Carsten

Andrew:

Interesting they apparently built 199 cars in the 8 days that separate our build dates.  My car is currently running DCOE 40s.  It runs great, so I am a little reluctant to go to the PHHs, but I have everything I need (except new throttle butterfly shafts), so I am going forward with it.  I finished rebuilding one of the PHHs over the weekend.

My car has the original block, but has an e21 head.  I am on the hunt for a 71 dated 121Ti head, so if you run across one please let me know.  

Your car looks great, I love those wheels.

Carsten - I think yours is the first ti I have seen without the little panel under the steering column, where they mount the rear defrost switch.  Does your car have a rear defrost?

Andy

ti engine 1.jpg

1971 2002ti

1 hour ago, Jam3422 said:

Andrew:

My car has the original block, but has an e21 head.  I am on the hunt for a 71 dated 121Ti head, so if you run across one please let me know.  

Andy

Andy,

I have this cylinder head removed from a standard 71 2002 engine, but I am unable to remove the head bolts from it - neither was Korman's shop.

IMG_7901.jpg

IMG_7896.jpg

IMG_7902.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Hi Andy,

you are right, my car has no rear defrost.
The car was originally delivered to south Italia where the rear defrost was not often needed.
The rear defrost was always an option which nearly everyone ordered in Germany because of the cold and wet wheather.

I think the first time my ti saws snow was in January 2013 when my daily driver gave up with a broken alternator and an empty battery. :wacko:
With the Michelin XAS tires it was like riding the ti on a canon bullet.  Aboslutly 0 traction! - but lots of fun! :rolleyes:

I will take a look here on the market for a 121 ti head. If I find one which is not cracked, I will inform you.

cu,

Carsten

IMAG0380.jpg

• Like 1

Andy,

Super nice engine compartment, you don't have the tube for the ignition wires but you also lack  a snorkel which is a good thing. I have not reapplied the decals, but it does make it look nicer.

Andrew

On 2/13/2017 at 7:06 PM, Jam3422 said:

Andy

Andy -- maybe you already know this, but another benefit from fitting a proper 121 head will be an immediate boost in performance.  The e21 combustion chambers are larger than the 121, so your compression is down.

Ray

1971 Alpina 2002

=00=

• 7 months later...

A few pictures from the last "sporting" event of the year, a hillclimb in Latvia. Its actually a very flat country, so a hillclimb is usually a climb out of a river valley or gourge rather than a race up a mountain. We only managed to place 10th among 26, but mine was also by far the oldest car in the field...

Now, she is in the Motor Museum here in Riga until April next year...will post pix of that later.

Andrew

YTR-Hell-Mezezers-2017-55.jpg

YTR-Hell-Mezezers-2017-125.jpg

YTR-Hell-Mezezers-2017-157.jpg

YTR-Hell-Mezezers-2017-206.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/2/2017 at 1:06 AM, Jam3422 said:

Andrew:

Interesting they apparently built 199 cars in the 8 days that separate our build dates.  My car is currently running DCOE 40s.  It runs great, so I am a little reluctant to go to the PHHs, but I have everything I need (except new throttle butterfly shafts), so I am going forward with it.  I finished rebuilding one of the PHHs over the weekend.

Your car looks great, I love those wheels.

Carsten - I think yours is the first ti I have seen without the little panel under the steering column, where they mount the rear defrost switch.  Does your car have a rear defrost?

Andy

ti engine 1.jpg

Hi i have a 121ti head from 71