jrkoupe

your opinion re a FS ad

16 posts / 1127 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

so say u r selling an item...

you get multiple PMs but never a direct response on the actual thread.

You then sell the item due to the PM of a fella...

then u get your first post response on the thread and this dude   is  a bit miffed and sharp  that he was the FIRST to respond, and u shoulda sold to him!

I was like,  my man, u were NOT the first in line.....I recd PMs prior to your post!

what say u?

edit:

I just noticed this was a topic of some controversy recently............ no mind........Im now good here......lol

Edited by jrkoupe

(edited)

I wouldn't say anything.

I used to hold an item for the first person who said they wanted it (without payment), but too often then not, they would flake out after 1-2 days of waiting. I like to be true to my word of selling it to the who first came forward but after too many flakes I changed it up.

Now when someone contacts me for an item that is attracting attention from more than 1 person. I will tell them both, first person to pay gets it... but then I feel a little bad and will generally give the buyer1 a few hours before accepting/requesting payment from buyer2.

I've noticed when someone asks me for a group price on most or all of what I'm selling (with shipping), 0 out of 5 times they will follow through :p.

I've also noticed when someone posts in your thread and does not PM you, they're less likely to actually go through with the purchase.

Moral of the story: Do what's right for you, sell to the first buyer you feel will pay you. Unless I'm the 2nd buyer, then sell to me at a reduced rate.

cheers,

Anthony

Edited by MildSeven

Maybe if you add to your for sale post that you prefer to be PM'd........that would help. All interested parties will PM you and you will know who's first in line.

As I'm old school, I too would be miffed if I replied first (on line) and found out you sold it later to someone who PM'd you (maybe after my post).

1 hour ago, 02Les said:

Maybe if you add to your for sale post that you prefer to be PM'd........that would help. All interested parties will PM you and you will know who's first in line.

As I'm old school, I too would be miffed if I replied first (on line) and found out you sold it later to someone who PM'd you (maybe after my post).

lets be crystal clear here.........

the pm was recd before!!! anything else.

32 minutes ago, jrkoupe said:

lets be crystal clear here.........

the pm was recd before!!! anything else.

.....and that's crystal clear??? right.... Everybody bust out their crystal balls!!

That said, people can do what they want with their treasure. Old school guys are almost obsolete anyway.

Hmm, well. Money talks.

Maybe list the payment method in the thread, and whoever sends the money first gets the item. Shipping cost may be a variable in some cases tho, and require an additional payment, muddling things a bit.

Anyone else sending a more tardy payment of course gets a refund...

Cheers,

I like to think that the BMW 2002 FAQ is a special place, with expected civility and good behavior from its lucky members.

This issue of purchase primacy came up before. My recollection is that people would post "I'll take it." And then place p.m. sent on the same post.

Millions of years of evolution has made us competitive, and I think following classic  social decorum, kind of like the British ,     is more important than ever in these days of global competition and political turbulence.

I very much admire that 02 princess Lisa said to give/sell a pair of coveted good deal/fair price shallow grills to coastal crush, even though she PMed first -he and I had both posted interest in them.  I was going to just immediately post that I would buy them, but had to look up the differences between the shallow and deep grills, which took me several minutes, delaying my response.  Coastal had posted first- I respect that. Snooze and you lose-

Decisive behavior, background knowledge, and intent go a long way. I believe that if you post decisively that you will purchase something, and then send the Seller a personal message providing your shipping address and making payment arrangements, that you are dealing in good faith.

Class, good manners, and (gasp!) good breeding. Do unto others as you would have them do you want to you etc. etc.

It is not a  perfect universe, however, I hope that this beautiful forum will always remain a first class supportive community-and that all of the members will nurture it, and protect it, leading by example.  I don't want it to ever become snarky and EBAY like. I believe that we should all stand up for, deliver, and expect good behavior.

Let's make Steve proud!DSCN9154.JPG But let's not forget that there's no  such thing as too much fun.

I humbly thank 02 Princess Lisa for setting an excellent example. But of course, that is what I expect of royalty. B)

Cheers, Peter.

DSCN8543.JPG

Well, what to say.

I have had mostly great experiences with forum members both in selling and buying. Of course there is always a few that only think of themselves. 

Recently I sold some Tii bits to Goofycarp who listed a parts wanted ad which I responded to. He agreed and even sent payment for said parts. I then sent him a confirmation PM with an image of all that is being sent. 

His response was to cancel the deal sighting the first image I sent him showed a bunch of "linkage" parts that were not included in the shipping image I sent later. My PM said "throttle linkage" as the other stuff was not even linkages at all but motor mounts and brackets from a plating job i did. Truth; I found out from his original WTB post later that some other "supplier" wined and cried out in public that Goofycarp did not respond to his PM about the parts. I guess he negotiated a better deal with that person. Thus backing out of my deal, which I already had payment for, being a nice guy and considering this community I refunded him the money minus just $50 as he offered $100. 

So in the end it all worked out fine I guess, I got $50 for a 180 mile trip specifically to get the parts for him.

Pretty much the reverse situation but none the less frugal parts people care about money and their ranking.  

win some lose some. 

I was gonna relay the same message as Peter but couldn't top his.

I think almost everyone got this right but one thing that's crucial to being fair is to be impartial and don't let your personal benefit overcome your common passion you share here with another fellow enthusiast.

There has to be a common ground. I've tried to explain this by emphasising on both seller and buyer's interest and most sellers took it the wrong way and at the end, a newbe told me to go get nicked!

Think about it, this is not eBay or a place to buy & sell parts BUT, if you happen to have a spare part that you need to get rid of then by all mean, list it under parts for sale section. If you do so, please threat buyers same way as when you meet them at any club gathering over a coffee or beer. Same goes for buyers listing under want to buy section.

First come first serve is fare, but if you sell to the first PM then fair enough, update the thread so people won't think the item is still up for sale.

Giving a short curtesy time to interested parties would just improve your seller feedback. I have dealt with uninterested sellers demanding money in each reply and saying "otherwise I'll sell it to someone else" when all you ask is shipping price or additional info. I will never contact those sellers.

I have mostly purchased from sellers so kind and friendly. And they are all in my bucket list to visit when I go back to USA.

I can't talk much about the buyers. Honestly, it's not fair to sellers that they have to be mindful of so many things but in return get PMs from time wasters. Sadly that's the game of any trade. Some people only sign up to buy one item. I believe that's why Steve added the feedback option that would show their trade history under the username.

I'm sure I'll be judged again by some but that's the downfall of typing what you think which shows no human emotions rather than talking face to face where people can actually read you and see what you mean. So here are some emojis

(edited)

thnx for your responses here....

I must  say some  of you just get into this waaaay to deeply IMO.

Be fair and treat people how you would want to be treated ..of course.

Folks who say "Ill take it..", often  dont!.....they oft use that phrase as a stall IMO

Whether u answer in the thread or  via PM, I go in order of who responded first.....but then the funds must be sent as agreed upon. ......Or next!!!!!!!!

I see this can be a touchy issue for some of u..............and I have enjoyed your insight.

i bring this up because I sold an item via a PM............yet the first responder in the actual thread felt slighted!, and he was over 1 hr behind the PM er........

.....anyhew

Edited by jrkoupe