• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear window seal problems. Seal or installer?

jrhone

Yup this is a URO seal. Looked at it and it looks like it's separating from the car. On the inside it looks like there is a spot where the headliner isn't tucked under the seal. This was installed maybe 6 months ago when the car was painted. Is this a bad seal or a bad install?  Is there an easy way to reinstall the rear glass?  

IMG_0690.JPGIMG_0692.JPG

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

The gasket is supposed to lay flat against the car on the outer perimeter.  That doesn't look right - is the outer edge rounded by design, or just folding under?

With all the warnings about Uro products here & on other forums, I don't understand why owners still buy them.  Most of us are on a budget, but there is price & there is value.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Its folding under.  Yes I was on a strict budget and there was almost no way to do the BMW seals.  With that being said...is it installer error or the seal itself?  My first inclination is to think it was not installed correctly because of the way its folding under.  Almost like the window isn't seated all the way.  Dont want to assume its the seal when maybe its the installer.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

The inner lip should be pulled in so it covers the headliner.  It looks like the glass hasn't seated fully into the aperature,

and if there was a bit of seal not in place, that would totally do it.  Get a plastic spatula and carefully try to tuck the seal over the

car body.  When it's fully seated, the whole window will sag inward into place- and after a few days in the sun, settle in farther.

Might be the seal, but I'd be inclined to get it all the way installed before deciding for sure.

Can you shoot us a pic or 2 of the inside?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

2 minutes ago, jrhone said:

My first inclination is to think it was not installed correctly because of the way its folding under.  Almost like the window isn't seated all the way.

That could be, but the installer has to work with was they're given.  Do they have years/decades of experience with gasket installations?

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Looks like the window is just about to pop out and fall on the road! I would not drive if it's really as loose as it looks in the pics. 

My feeling is that it wasn't seated right when installed. It could be re-installed. 10 minutes job for a pro with tools, hour or two sweating for you and a friend. If it was installed by a shop I would take it back there...driving slowly. 

Of course if it comes out by itself there must be something wrong with the seal.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

+1 with what Tommy is saying. That screen is not secure. A highway blast with the windows down could see that out. 

Pull it it out and refit it yourself (or get the guy back again if you can be bothered). You do not need to remove the filler so don't need anything other than some thin rope and spatula type implements for picking out bits. 

It needs someone on the outsidde to side to apply some pressure after centring in the opening while you pull out the cord. Not tricky, just may take a couple of goes if it is your first time. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I also used a URO seal, and yours looks a lot better than mine. I wouldnt worry about it coming out in normal conditions. my main concern is water, I too just got a new paint job so make sure you don't get it rusty!

I plan on getting the installer to switch mine to genuine, mine are so bad that they shouldnt of let it leave like that. I should of listened to the warnings

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Gurannt said:

I also used a URO seal, and yours looks a lot better than mine. I wouldnt worry about it coming out in normal conditions. my main concern is water, I too just got a new paint job so make sure you don't get it rusty!

I plan on getting the installer to switch mine to genuine, mine are so bad that they shouldnt of let it leave like that. I should of listened to the warnings

OK, I first used these seals because Budget was an issue. I called a local glass shop that sent out their most senior installer with 30+ plus years since my car is a 76, it took him 3 hours to get the rear perfect. I asked him if their was a better aftermarket brand and he told me No but OEM is definitely better. After he left I tucked in 2 18 gauge wires for my third brake-light. 5 days later the window was 40% released just like yours. I contacted the dealer and got an OEM the next day, went back to the installer and he had the OEM one in in 35 min with the wire tucked.

In comparison the OEM was softer and the flange was noticeably wider, 2 years now with no further problems, my car is also a sunroof car so the liner is tucked under as is yours.

IMG_5984.JPG

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook