• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel injection refurbish

mvliotta

12 hours ago, cda951 said:

Just buy these and be done with it! $200 is cheap insurance for preventing a possible engine fire, and not to mention the new lines really make the engine bay look a lot better (I am the furthest thing possible from a concours guy, but I am astounded by the number of high-dollar, otherwise pristine tiis that have nasty-looking original injector lines!).

The divider clips are still available new from BMW.

Yea, What he said  ;-) 

I did spend quite a while cleaning mine up before installing, I had every intention of buying a new set but was told they Caramelize very fast. 

Tii.jpg

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

Nice setup Chargin!

Here is a closeup of a couple of the very well worn and very brown injector lines that came with my car. If you look closely, you can see 'sandpapering' of the inner radius of the top line. Looks like the PO placed some fuel line to stop it from continuing. Never liked the looks of the brown lines or the protectors!

IMG_4053.JPG

With some patience and VERY careful use of heat, I was able to bend a couple of the newish injector lines just enough to stop them from rubbing. No real risk of compromising the tubes, if you are cautious.

IMG_4056.JPG

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

2 hours ago, jgerock said:

The new lines are nice when new but will start to turn colors due to the ⛽️ 

Very true, after 2 years mine have begun to yellow from gasoline---but are still way better than 40+ year old brown lines. :)

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

"Carmelize"  I like that.

I think there is something to be said for original fuel lines vs. pristine white ones. 

"My car runs on gaz!   Look.  You can see the fuel in the lines"  That rich yellow colour of 94 octane.  I love it.

What other car can you say that about?

If the new ones turn "carmel" I could live with that.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

You can soak those plastic (nylon) fuel line separators in a bleach solution to get them white again.

While you are at it, a solution of Comet/Ajax powder with water and a Scotch-brite pad works wonders on the original washer bottles.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Just put the new set on for the concours competitions.  When not in use, hang them out of sunlight in your living room for houseguests to ogle.  

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

Just put the new set on for the concours competitions.  When not in use, hang them out of sunlight in your living room for houseguests to ogle.  

well if if that's what you want why not just spray paint them white every few months?

?

Edited by chargin

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Back with any update and an issue. I put everything back together, did a valve adjustment and changed the oil. 

Started her up for the first time and...... it ran terribly, (although valves seemed quieter :unsure:). Not a big deal, I thought, as I'm sure I threw the tuning off, so started playing around, but did not help at all. Went back to basics and started go through the tii guide. Sure enough, no fuel coming out of k-fish cylinder 3 when injector tube nut #3 was loosened a bit. The tii guide says to switch suction valves to confirm that is the cause. Before doing that wanted to ask for some assistance, as the o-rings look crusty and wanted to make sure I don't do anything stupid.

Any advice? Where do I get new o-rings? Did I cause this by replacing components? Anything else I should be concerned about?... as you can tell I'm quite leery of taking anything off the injection pump!

Vince

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

Vince, 

Get new seals from BLUNT before messing with the injector pump.

Did you mark the relationship between the throttle body shaft and the lower pivot shaft before you took everything apart?  The coupling position makes a BIG difference in how the car runs.  This is separate from the synchronization mentioned in the Fuel injection manuals. 

Jim

Jim Gerock

Thanks Jim, will do re: seals.

Not sure I understand what you mean regarding the shafts. Don't they line up in a straight line from the cup in the WUR to the throttle body holes for the D-cam?

I have the early style pinch piece on top, with two bolts and two holes for the spring. I did replace the lower intermediate shaft with a spare, because it provided a bit more clearance for the spring to avoid the newer injector tubes. (The angle of the plate the houses the holes is slightly turned away from the spring)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

Since you replaced the lower (longer) pivot piece, you may have inadvertently changed the orientation of the pivot and coupling with the throttle body.  Yes, the coupling will only bolt onto the lower pivot piece one way - but the throttle body shaft can rotate in any position.  I fought this for a while after cleaning everything and having the KF pump rebuilt. My 73 now has all new pivot pieces (but retains the original throttle body).

Carefully inspect the coupling where the throttle return spring is secured.  Many old ones have been worn away and it may break.

pics512010034.jpg

pics121308006.jpg

The piece on the left is new from BMW - on the right is my old one.  Notice the difference in the angle?  This is the bottom.

pics512010014.jpg

Jim Gerock