• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shop cost for my engine

JayMac

Picked up my engine this week and I thought I would share what was on the bill. As part of my project goal I would love to make this car one of my daily drivers so I would like to have a dependable engine and know what is in there and when it was done. I originally thought about one of the monsters from the various engine builders but the cost was north of $7500 and I felt the funds could be spent elsewhere in the project and in the event I sell the car or abandon the project there is an easier chance of selling a basic engine versus trying to recoup cost on one of the monsters. Not saying any of my thinking is correct but just to give you an idea of what was rattling around in the vast emptiness between my ears. Current engine leaked everywhere and I think if I changed the oil what did not leak out would probably double it's value. So I found a used one near by and had the local shop check to see if it was in good enough condition to work with. It passed and I proceeded:

Pistons, rings

Mild cam regrind, larger adjusters, new springs, guides, seals

All of the various gaskets, bearings, water pump,and pulleys.

I am much better at demolition than I am at assembly so decided to use a bit of checkbook rather than do some of the work although I would have loved to do it. Also, being a bit disorganized results in pieces mysteriously missing so I thought better of it on this one. Maybe next time.

Basic costs:

Resurface exhaust manifold  $40

Valve job                                $195

Install valve guides                $80

Polish crank shaft                  $40

Clean engine block                $60

Bore block                              $140

recondition rods                      $60

resurface block                       $100

Freeze plugs                           $8.99

Cleaning of parts                     $225

Assembly                                 $640

If I had the skills and wanted to spend a little more quality time the the pile of greasy  bits I dropped off the last two items could have been eliminated. All in all it came in right about where I had budgeted for this project and more importantly it is done waiting for the rest of the car to catch up. Work was done in Richmond, Virginia. Just wanted to share what I paid for a reference of costs to have doneIMG_0036[1].JPG

IMG_0034[1].JPG

Slowly building a $20,000 $4000 car

If it "ran when parked" you wouldn't have parked it!

I have a bill from Ireland for $1211. This was for the pistons, rings, cam regrind, springs, larger ecentrics.

Bill from Blunt for less than $200 for all of the gasket sets. Bought timing chain, chain guides, tentioner...think this came in the Blunt box based on what I was doing to the engine.

Don't remember if I got all the valve seals and guides from which but you can get the jist. The shop checked all of the valves to see if they could be used and they were good. Pistons are/were custom so you have to wait a bit on them.

Shop charged me $10 for the paint.

So total I am in a bit over $3000 and that number could be seriously reduced if I had the skill and confidence to tackel it myself. Per the invoice motor has a one year warranty. My target was $4000 for this and I think I could have found someone to help me assemble it but I felt dumb asking for it and since I didn't work for free I don't expect anyone else to.  Did get an offer from a member out in CO to put an engine together for me and his price was very good. I figure with the freight it would just be better to keep the project local. Hope the info helps.

Edited by JayMac

Slowly building a $20,000 $4000 car

If it "ran when parked" you wouldn't have parked it!

40 minutes ago, kbmb02 said:

Good maching shop pricing, good deal on the assembly. Curious how close to the $7,500 it was after you added the price of pistons, oil pump, crank sprocket, camshaft, head components, main and rod bearings, gasket sets, water pump, engine paint, etc. -KB

I think the OP got a good price on the machine work. I feel decent machine work is not expensive for a general rebuild. A performance build where higher tolerances are required, it does. It just takes more time and that can become expensive.You do get what you paid for.

All that being said, you bring up a great point. It is easy to over look all the costs

Once you really start replacing parts, it adds up big time.  Especially if you are going for a performance motor that you want to last. Raised RPM's and extended track use cost $$.  Even in general, a good quality build is not that cheap. Cam/crank sprockets, main/rod bearings, oil pump, water pump, valve springs, head/crank bolts. If you are ok with older parts that are in tolerance, than you can save some cash. If you have crazy OCD like me, it gets expensive :)

It all depends on your usage and budget. Sounds like the OP hit his goals and that's cool. I also think it is fare to say that not all builds and quotes are equal and you really need to compare apples to apples.

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

I too am just about to jump into the deep end of the pool with my final project.. the engine rebuild. I visited a very reputable and renowned 2002 engine builder in central North Carolina and if my pockets were deeper I would not hesitate. I would not lose one minute of sleep knowing it was done right.

But I have about half that amount to spend and I actually want to be part of the tear down and rebuild. My brother, fortunately, is a longtime mechanic and has built many 60's Mopar engines. So we decided to bite the bullet and get together over the next few months and both learn about this German engine. 

I found a good head shop in Raleigh for that work and he has many contacts in Charlotte for lots of other services. I expect a hefty Blunt/Ireland/RogersTII bill, but I can't wait to get started. I will update this post with my experience too. 

Also if you read this and are starting the engine rebuild fun, these articles are awesome if you have not seen or heard of them.

Randy  

ShadeTreeArticles1.pdf

ShadeTreeArticles2.pdf

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com