tisalover

BMW 1800 TISA

287 posts / 28232 viewsLast Reply

Bill I have several radiators, I will look through them, and send you pictures of the best. The 1800 (and TiSA) radiators are all the same. I had mine recored, and they didn't do a good job and it leaked. I then put a 320 i radiator it,however,  I think you should stay original, obviously. I will be going to the barn and looking around for various bits, such as the best radiator under dash pads etc. Please Send me a personal message with a list of things you need, and that way I can write it down and take it along with me. I will prepare the seat templates this weekend, as it has been a rather crazy, busy week for me.

Best regards, Peter

Really enjoying these posting - re the history of some of the "lost" TISA's

#182 chamonix - I owned ~1971 to maybe 1995 it had two Restall racing seats (some of the other TISA had only the driver's seat).  I bought it from San Jose BMW in the days of nasty car salesman.  He touted the rebuilt engine which had a new coat of silver paint on it.  It also had Solex's which they had changed from Webers because "the Webers were too hard to keep tuned."  The dealer subsequently came across the Webers and sold them back to me.  After I moved to LA, It was serviced by Hyde Park BMW where the service manager Carl had raced TISA's before (and had lots of spare parts which he kindly used to keep my delicate 5 speed going).  Driving to LA down I5 around 1973 just before the Grapevine, the engine stopped dead and had to be towed back to Bakersfield.  When the dropped the pan, it was apparent why the engine was "rebuilt" - it had thrown a piston out the side which was repaired by welding the it back together and putting in a new piston - the problem at hand though was the crankshaft was fractured clean through.

#177 chamonix or gray - after calling multiple foreign wrecking yards, I found 177 in LA (maybe H&E wrecking on Rosecrans?).  177 was interesting - one Restall race seat and other standard TI.  It also had the 100 liter gas tank which took up half the trunk.  It was also fitted with a Halda rally computer.  For a couple of hundred bucks, they sold me the short block which I unceremoniously dropped the oily mess into the trunk of a rental car and drove it up to Bakersfield after which my car was revived.

I drove the TISA as a daily driver for many years then put it aside.  I think at some point I had a 2 liter short block put in (I know heresy!).  It was hard finding anyone to work on it with most BMW shops passing.  I eventually sold it to a guy from as I recall San Diego who was going to vintage race it.  Never have seen it again.  One of the biggest mistakes of my life in retrospect.

So I question for you TISA affectionados - I had a friend in the early BMW club period, Bob Forrest, who owned a car he said was one of 7 2000 TISAs originally built for British racing.  I would guess Bob is no longer with us and the cars whereabouts olr history ???

Thanks !!

jim silva

Bill-Some parts for number 133,  were unearthed today: correct six fuse box and cover, 5J by 14 wheel, rear passenger door armrest / driver side, rear drivers door window, early correct non-behr radiator. It turns out that BMW would utilize various manufacturers for parts, and as such there were some non-behr radiators. DSCN1133.thumb.JPG.908024b71f60c73ced5481a5affe461a.JPGI will send you a PM with details.

Jim Silva- wow, thank you for posting. I love to hear old TISA history. Do you have any pictures of your old cars. Any more stories or information that you could contribute would be very interesting. My own earliest TISA memories are hazy, I remember riding in the backseat of one when I was five. Anything else about your cars that you can contribute would be very much appreciated.  I have included some Tisa related pictures, because I'm visual, easily bored and find them entertaining.

Very best regards, Peter

DSCN9190.JPG

DSCN8451.JPG

DSCN9548.JPG

Got the interior pieces to clean up.  I can manage the minimum wage jobs.  Underside of back seat bottom had this sticker.  BMW told me the car was produced 27 April 1965.  Seat was made on the 14th.

IMG_0456.JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, crash95032 said:

Really enjoying these posting - re the history of some of the "lost" TISA's

#182 chamonix - I owned ~1971 to maybe 1995 it had two Restall racing seats (some of the other TISA had only the driver's seat).  I bought it from San Jose BMW in the days of nasty car salesman.  He touted the rebuilt engine which had a new coat of silver paint on it.  It also had Solex's which they had changed from Webers because "the Webers were too hard to keep tuned."  The dealer subsequently came across the Webers and sold them back to me.  After I moved to LA, It was serviced by Hyde Park BMW where the service manager Carl had raced TISA's before (and had lots of spare parts which he kindly used to keep my delicate 5 speed going).  Driving to LA down I5 around 1973 just before the Grapevine, the engine stopped dead and had to be towed back to Bakersfield.  When the dropped the pan, it was apparent why the engine was "rebuilt" - it had thrown a piston out the side which was repaired by welding the it back together and putting in a new piston - the problem at hand though was the crankshaft was fractured clean through.

#177 chamonix or gray - after calling multiple foreign wrecking yards, I found 177 in LA (maybe H&E wrecking on Rosecrans?).  177 was interesting - one Restall race seat and other standard TI.  It also had the 100 liter gas tank which took up half the trunk.  It was also fitted with a Halda rally computer.  For a couple of hundred bucks, they sold me the short block which I unceremoniously dropped the oily mess into the trunk of a rental car and drove it up to Bakersfield after which my car was revived.

I drove the TISA as a daily driver for many years then put it aside.  I think at some point I had a 2 liter short block put in (I know heresy!).  It was hard finding anyone to work on it with most BMW shops passing.  I eventually sold it to a guy from as I recall San Diego who was going to vintage race it.  Never have seen it again.  One of the biggest mistakes of my life in retrospect.

So I question for you TISA affectionados - I had a friend in the early BMW club period, Bob Forrest, who owned a car he said was one of 7 2000 TISAs originally built for British racing.  I would guess Bob is no longer with us and the cars whereabouts olr history ???

Thanks !!

jim silva

Bob called one night as we were assembling ‘Die Flusternde Bombe’ Golden Gate Chapter newsletter

He wanted an ad listed to sell his 2000 Ti/SA.

I told him there were no 2000 Ti/SA’s.

Naturally I was wrong as he went on to describe the Ti/SA parts in his car. 

Here is the ad from the March - April 1983 chapter newsletter.  

For Sale: Rare 1967 BMW 2000 TI/SA,

VIN 1432583. Needs work, Many extras, Make offer, Bring trailer. Bob Forrest, King City (408) ###-####.

I was told later that it was a  no sale, so he junked it.

I bought my 1800 Ti/SA 6 years later. A couple of years before I had checked the car out twice in Alameda at the previous owner's home, but did not buy it. In 1989 I saw an ad in the 'Classified Flea Market" so I didn't waste the chance this time.

Richard Jones

4 minutes ago, tisabmw said:

Bob called one night as we were assembling ‘Die Flusternde Bombe’ Golden Gate Chapter newsletter

He wanted an ad listed to sell his 2000 Ti/SA.

I told him there were no 2000 Ti/SA’s.

Naturally I was wrong as he went on to describe the Ti/SA parts in his car. 

Here is the ad from the March - April 1983 chapter newsletter.  

For Sale: Rare 1967 BMW 2000 TI/SA,

VIN 1432583. Needs work, Many extras, Make offer, Bring trailer. Bob Forrest, King City (408) ###-####.

I was told later that it was a  no sale, so he junked it.

I bought my 1800 Ti/SA 6 years later. A couple of years before I had checked the car out twice in Alameda at the previous owner's home, but did not buy it. In 1989 I saw an ad in the 'Classified Flea Market" so I didn't waste the chance this time.

Richard Jones

Richard's (Dad's) Ti/SA would be #183. ;)

I must say this whole early distributor with mechanical and vacuum advance on TI cars is starting to confuse me. I had always assumed that the TI models, and TISA distributors did not have the vacuum advance device on the side. I am going to look at all distributor numbers very carefully from now on out.

BTS Autoteile has those fuse holders NOS in the box.  Is that an unusual cam cover?  My Tilux has one like that and I havent seen another one.

Alex

Edited by phugley
A question

The valve cover is the stock very early BMW 1500-1800 style. Your Tilux would've had a much later (style 3 or 4)  ribbed style valve cover on it, someone has changed yours.

Best regards, Peter

Thanks, Peter.  Hardly a week goes by that I don't learn something else about my car.

Alex