tisalover

BMW 1800 TISA

282 posts / 26215 viewsLast Reply

I am a little disappointed as well. I would say the paint scheme and its ownership history played a role.

• Like 1

Bill, as regards brake calipers: the TISA brake calipers were used on several Mercedes from that time, and later on early VW transports; i.e. Vanagons. The rubber rebuild kits are I still believe available. There are places that do beautiful caliper rebuilds in this day and age. I would think the toughest part would be to not overdo it, that is to say to get  period correct finish on the caliper. I usually send my brake calipers to undercarexpress in the Midwest, they generally do a nice job. The Porsche guys, PMB, do really nice work. I have had PMB do Porsche caliper work but I think that it might be too shiny and perfect for a  TISA restoration. I'm not sure that the TISA caliper finish was anything special. I doubt that it was zinc plated or anything fancy. God knows my calipers always relatively pedestrian. They were of course built to drive.

As regards the"Art car" TISA sale price I think it is quite pitiful. Consider that a Porsche RS, 1972, of which approximately 1500 were made are running in the 4-5- $600,000 range now. There were only 200 TISA's made, of which maybe five or six handfuls still remain on the planet. This has more to do with cultural German car snobbery, even 2002 turbos of which approximately 1500 were made are running into the hundred and $150,000 dollar range now . What would Rodney Dangerfield say;"I can't get no respect."

It is true that a Four-door sedan does not have the sex appeal of a BMW 2002 turbo or 911 RS. I do think the lack of sensible paint and  period Correct detailing really hurt the "Art car" sale. Four door sedan's do not have a lot of $ex appeal, even if they are the mother of all M cars, and savior of the BMW mark due to Alex's genius, and the original M 10 motor. I have not seen a super clean , totally correct TISA ever even arrive at auction.

In respect to Jim Silvas question about"BMW 1800 TISA" bumpers; I believe they were all delivered with bumpers, or at least the eight or nine that I've seen in my life all had bumpers on them. As soon as any of them went to the racetrack for serious action they were drilled for lightness, bumpers came off etc.

It's important to enjoy the ride. Drive on brothers,

Best regards Peter

DSCN1266.JPG

DSCN1265.JPG

DSCN8782.JPG

I bought #182 from jim silva in 1987, it was restored  chomonix, they all had the same interior, it did have a 2 liter exchange motor ini it , this is the first vintage tisa raced in the us, I removed the engine and trans, it was replaced with a latter 73-76 block which has a improve oiling system on the rods and mains, I used a e30 close ratio box with much improved gettrag  gearing and borgwarner style syncro s , the original trans had no replacement parts available in 1987. the body was drilled extensive ly  all the glass except the drivers window were removed and replaced with lexon, all window regulaters  removed, the suspension was custom built by suspension techniques in their shop. the engine was a custom built unit built by me, tii clutch,custom built exhaust , bilstien  sport shocks,  e-30 323 euro rims and  yoko r track tires. At de mar the car ran 4 seconds faster than the 1969 911s in our run group, the same guy that insulted me in the pits  about having to run  against this boat in his run  group, my alfa friends told him to stay out of our way.    Bruce M-tuner

• Like 3

look in may 1988 Roundel  page 58 59 that me standing next to Herbie  #53  this car was built by me not any one else, and  not bill homes or carl nelson , which are not BMW Master mechanic s,  I have the oldest schuling pass in the us and worked at 7 bmw dealers on both coast, and I am still building high output bmw engines and race cars, the tisa was  built when i was also building  a gt-3 2002, a road race M3 for la carrara, look it up it was made to start last and past the entire field of of cars and finished #8  out of about 80 cars . the tisa was very fun to build but twisted the other bmw shops at the time, I never let the negative influence my quest to win with all the other cars I built and campaign with other owners , I am currently restoring a 1972 tii with a e12 engine, one of about 300 built, building a 2000cs resto mod with e46 m3 drive train,   BMW mach schell   Bruce M-tuner

• Like 2

This is #182 in its prime at jack murphy stadium in san deigo 1988,  unbeknown to me a welded spider rear diff was put in the car by bavarian rinsport , which made the car useless to drive on the track. I am standing behind the car

IMGP1296.JPG

• Like 3

I may have missed it but 182 is now in Germany- Sepp Grimbald? I think this is the car featured  in the German magazine " Auto Motor und Sport" , Aug 2008 ?? Prior owners would be Bruce, Jim Silva, Doug Powell, ???

(edited)

Regarding the Dennis SImon mural TISA # 197.... it sold for a disappointing $70K ( confirmed price?) and the identity of new owner??

Edited by Rmeinig
correct punctuation!

I bought #182 from jim, he picked me up at san jose air port in his e30 bmw, i looked at the car that was listed in the roundel,  no one knew about tisa or what they were ,but I did because i have been into bmws sense 1971, and doing reading about them,  doug was the buyer, I built the car for him , sept bought it from doug,  I enjoyed building it I did not enjoy dealing with them. where is the car now, and do you have pictures of it now?   Bruce Mtuner

• Like 1

Hi Bruce

I've wondering many many years where 182 ended up.

Many regrets re that car

#1 selling it and not keeping it to restore

#2 letting my mechanic replace the TISA block with the 2 liter motor

#3 not knowing about vintage racing and the TISA's potential

Sounds like it had a strong presence though in your vintage racing adventures

I guess I'll have to take a trip to Munich

Best wishes

jim

• Like 1

Jim, we both should travel to Muchin to see our old friend #182, you had the vision to keep it in good condition, I had the vision to build it before the masses saw what potential there was there, I enjoyed building it into a monster,  on the track, hearing the laughter from those uninformed individuals  that pointed at it and laughed, Developed great friends with the alfa crew, that knew about the  whispering bomb, thank you Von Falkenhausen  for having the vision to build them, Hahne and Josef Schnitzer  making it a sedan class champion winner, the TISA is revered by  BMW because it started  their road back to being the unbeatable mark on the road and race track.   Bruce   M-tuner

Looking for a source for some anodized pieces:  

1.  Drip rail moldings R and L

2.  Trim piece for rear deck lid

I have the originals but they are pretty rough.

Regarding the seats being made in UK, Bryan tells me he is still looking for the correct red vinyl.  Everything else is ready to go.

Thanks.

Bill