slampson

Quieting my e10

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Anyone have suggestions on the best way to quiet an e10?  The car is stock with the standard carpet kit, missing hood dampening, no dynamat, etc. and she drives a bit louder than I'd prefer... would like to have a normal volume conversation with my daughter as I teach her how to drive.  I'm wondering where is the best place to start on the car?

Thank you for your input.

Center resonator and muffler....

t

My Tii seemed noisier then I remembered it from ten years ago.  Got it on a lift to inspect the underside.  Motor mounts were weak as well as transmission support.  The net effect was that both had dropped lower and thus the driveshaft lower and had wore out the driveshaft center support bearing.  Believe the bearing noise is transmitting through the floor.

Definitely some holes in the exhaust but the sound is more from the front(engine) than the rear(muffler)... highway revving noise.  Engine and transmission mounts are new rubber and differential bearings and seals just got changed.  The center support bearing is a candidate but still, it seems like simple engine noise, normal for the car, and just wondering what kind of dampening and where fruited the best results?

I wouldn't hurt to check the joints between the head and exhaust manifold, and between manifold and downpipe.  Even a small leak there can up the noise level significantly.  I filled the space under the back seat cushion with pieces of flexible foam and was amazed as to how much quieter it made the passenger compartment.  It was a combination of reducing differential/rear axle noise, and keeping that void from acting like a sound box.

One more suggestion:  get some "rebond" carpet padding from your local carpet emporium (scrap pieces can be had cheap or even free from their dumpster) and cut pieces to fit under your carpet.   The factory tar paper underlay could use some help in quieting noise from underneath the car.

And finally remember that this is a 40+ year old car--they weren't soundproofed nearly to the level of current cars, so some noise is to be expected.  

mike

Your point is taken well, Mike.  I should've stated from the beginning I'm under no expectations of a whisper quiet cabin in this 47 year old darling.  Sure, it could be nice but her moans and creaks are part of her charm.  

I like the idea of the carpet padding and back seat foam.  I definitely get the sense the semi-naked shell is resonating the noises into something bigger than need be.  I'm wondering also if the hood dampening that came on these cars does much for sound?  When I got her the pad was all but crumbling to dust so it's been removed, leaving the engine bay a metal drum, likely.

When I bought my '72tii, it came equipped with a PO-installed electric radiator fan. I added a factory fan back onto my tii after I had driven it for a while to improve cooling reliability (PO had too small a fan in there), and I discovered that the engine driven fan noise is quite noticeably noisy. My plan going forward (when I actually get the car back on the road) is to convert to a right-sized thermostat controlled electric fan so there is no fan running when moving. It's mostly to quiet the car down a bit, and hopefully get an extra half horsepower or so in the process.

It also doesn't hurt to try to adjust windows and doors so that they get a good seal as you can get a lot of wind noise

if the noise is coming from the front of the car, the engine bay, i'd remove the front carpet sections, easy to do and cover everything exposed with one of the peel & stick type products...i did that on my 76 years ago and it's amazing how much quieter is is...

with the various hole and openings in the firewall for hose, tubes, wire looms, etc, there's a lot of space for heat and sound to get thru...get the peel & seal tight around each opening....another source of sound is the pedal box....make sure it's sealed from the inside & outside the the proper parts & pieces

fwiw, i removed the rear seat filled under it with cheap foam carpet padding, used peel & seal sound deadener behind the seat and inside the doors & rear interior panels...except for old car wind noise it's about as quiet as it could ever be

Again, this forum provides in spades.  These are all great suggestions and much appreciated.  I think I'll attempt them one by one so I can gauge how much effect they individually have.

Thank you all.

Yeah, Jenn's car has jute backing with asphalt pads as far up the firewall as we could get it...  It made a big difference over my rat with almost nothing under the carpet.  Of course, the rats liked the padding better...

A 5- speed helps, too.

As does a stock manifold.

Oh, and the pads/seals around the shifter.

But don't underestimate the exhaust- it'll resonate in the cabin more than you'd expect.

t