• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Inka Tii all original on Ebay

Russkcpa

Just saw this on Ebay

Ad claims all original

One PA owner until last year.

Anyone familiar with the car or the original owner ?

Just interested to hear what our experts think

Russ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-BMW-2002-Tii-Survivor-/122326407398?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c7b38d8e6:g:vWAAAOSwt5hYiQD1&item=122326407398

1973 Tii Turkis

1983 320is Henna

Russ,

Looks fabulous!

Title mileages are not audited or checked.  At best, they actually reflect the odometer.  My 1961 F-350 shows 51,000 miles on it's title/registration.  I have the truck's log book from 1977, showing 78,000 miles by that date.  Sometime between 1977 and 2001, someone swapped out the original speedometer/odometer.  This replacement odometer -- it was a used unit from a 1962 truck -- currently shows 45,000 miles.  How many miles on my F-350?  51,000?  I think not.  No one knows.  No one will ever know!

That said, this tii could be very low miles.  I just have serious misgivings about mileage claims based on titles -- in the absence of substantial other documentary evidence -- and especially on cars with 5-digit odometers, not to mention the '02's propensity for failures of its speedometer cable and head unit.

The lack of underhood insulation pads suggests to me that at least the underside of the hood may have also been re-painted -- I can't opine on any other areas with those "long-distance" photos.  Or, someone painstakingly removed every last drop of old glue without leaving a mark.

The underside has been undercoated.  Not great, but not uncommon for a Rust Belt car.

All in all, one of the nicest I've seen.  Of course, I haven't seen the underside and the undercoat won't make its examination any easier.

Pretty slim documentation for a car that would appear to have been fanatically maintained for 43 years.

Look at it.  Then buy it!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I would 2nd Conserv/Steve...

The absence of underhood insulation (w/the exposed paint looking like nothing was ever glued to it), awfully spotless engine bay paint and like-new decals, what looks like a repainted spare, perhaps fresh headliner and elephant skin on the trunk floorboards hint at some cosmetics being spoken to over the yrs. Regardless, as Eiremon says, it doesn't get much more desirable than this! Inka was SO hot for so long, and still has its devotees/die-hard fans. Wonder what it'll make? 40-50K???

Wends

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

Can anyone comment on those wheels and steering wheel - truly a BMW dealer option or aftermarket? 

If the documentation checks out, this 02tii would be quite a nice car to own and drive. Originality only happens once and even if areas of the car (hood, engine bay, etc) were repainted, it looks to have been done to a high standard. No obvious overspray, clean washer nozzles, etc. Lack of snorkel hole would speak to the originality of the front end but panel seams would tell the rest of that story. 

I have a mirror image of this car save for the fact that mine lacks most documentation and was recently completely refreshed with almost all new components & paint. Will be watching this one closely. 

1973 Inka 2002tii (2764445) 

1974 Inka 2002tii (2782629) / Sold

1969 Porsche 912 (129000269) / Sold

47 minutes ago, cpolyak said:

Can anyone comment on those wheels and steering wheel - truly a BMW dealer option or aftermarket? 

Both are aftermarket.  The rims are BWA Sportstars -- in the forum's Wheels Database:

"Dealer installed" implies less than "dealer option".  Some BMW dealers were also dealers in aftermarket equipment, such as BWA rims or Becker radios.

Regards,

Steve

23 hours ago, ray_ said:

Hmm. VIN plate missing from steering pad...

Great eye, Ray, as usual,

Why does even an amazing example such as this car have to have some flaw that makes one say "How the hell did that happen?" and hence draws suspicion?  To me it says that even the most perfect cars keep secrets they will never tell....

And when someone says they know their car's complete history from the day it emerged from the factory door, I ask them if they accompanied their car during the 6 to 12 weeks it took the car to travel from the factory to the U.S. retail dealer.  And, assuming they owned the car from new, I ask them if they ever parked it in a public garage or on the street and left it alone for a minute or more.  And if they didn't own the car from new, I ask them how many hours, days, weeks, they spent with the previous owner(s) going over every day between the car's original delivery and their purchase of the car.  And, after that, most rationale people confess that they don't know their car's complete history....

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Other than the missing VIN tag on the steering wheel column cover, it appears the small 9 pin electrical connector (I forget what it was originally designed to do) under the hood, at left of the air intake and directly in front of the cowl on driver's side, has been over-sprayed in Inka orange. Or else it has an orange cover on it???. On my 73 tii it is definitely not painted, nor does it have a cover. Then again, maybe it is supposed to have a cover? Not sure.

This is nit picky stuff, but it does beg the question about under hood painting, especially since there is zero visual evidence of the padding. Either way, this appears to be a sweet tii in a very popular color. But I think the seller may be stretching the definition of "original paint survivor" just a bit...

Greg

Just to add a little more fuel.....

The front windscreen & rear window seals look new, maybe with a black (Turbo) filler strip rather than the shiny one. This, along with the pristine hood underside and the poorly fitted grip edge over the passenger rear side window, might suggest a complete respray.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

1 hour ago, GregF said:

Other than the missing VIN tag on the steering wheel column cover, it appears the small 9 pin electrical connector (I forget what it was originally designed to do) under the hood, at left of the air intake and directly in front of the cowl on driver's side, has been over-sprayed in Inka orange. Or else it has an orange cover on it???. On my 73 tii it is definitely not painted, nor does it have a cover. Then again, maybe it is supposed to have a cover?....

Greg,

The diagnostic plugs originally had (Inka-ish) orange caps.  A '72 or '73 had two diagnostic plugs: one on the left inner fender near the firewall, the other on the valve cover.  Most of the valve cover plugs are long gone by now.  Both, however, are present on the subject car.

Regards,

Steve

IMG_0600.JPG

Edited by Conserv

17 hours ago, 02Les said:

Just to add a little more fuel.....

The front windscreen & rear window seals look new, maybe with a black (Turbo) filler strip rather than the shiny one. This, along with the pristine hood underside and the poorly fitted grip edge over the passenger rear side window, might suggest a complete respray.

I'm convinced you're right, Les.  The more one looks, the more anomalies one sees, e.g., not a single stone chip on the nose, the tonality of the Inka on the underside of the trunk lid, which appears to carry down both decklid support braces to the rear wheel housings, and then suddenly turns into a more mellow (aged?) version of Inka in the trunk.

Dying to see if it meets the reserve and, if it does, what it sells for....

Steve

Edited by Conserv

What tipped me to the respray was the VIN number stamped into the fender. The edges of the 'tape' marks look way too perfectly square to me. Plus, the paint edges are kinda rough.

That missing VIN plate on the steering wheel column gets me nervous.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS