Sign in to follow this  
ramayah

Instrument cluster id dark

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello Friends,

I need your help. My instrument cluster is not lighting up. I replaced the bulbs on the cluster but no lights. The headlights and all other lights light up but not the dash.

Please let me know how i can fix it. I'll appreciate it.

Randy

10 minutes ago, ramayah said:

Hello Friends,

I need your help. My instrument cluster is not lighting up. I replaced the bulbs on the cluster but no lights. The headlights and all other lights light up but not the dash.

Please let me know how i can fix it. I'll appreciate it.

Randy

Just had a similar problem. I took out all my fuses, cleaned all the contacts and it works great now. Not sure if this will help you but you can give it a shot.

+1 on Andrew's diagnosis.  The rheostat that dims/brightens the dash lights is part of the headlight switch.  Rotating the headlight switch knob will change the lights from fully off (all the way counter-clockwise) to full bright (all the way clockwise).  The contacts get dirty, and can just plain wear out.

You might first try turning the knob back and forth.  If the contacts are dirty or corroded, that might clean 'em up.  If that doesn't work, you're gonna have to remove the headlight switch, which requires removing the instrument cluster (check archives for how to--not terribly difficult).

When you have the headlight switch in hand, you'll be able to glimpse the coiled rheostat wires inside the very back of the switch.  Squirt some spray electronic contact cleaner on the rheostat and see if that cleans things up; if not, you may have to find a replacement switch.  They don't fail that often, so someone on the Board will most likely have a good used one.

mike

Thanks to all of you. I'll try to remove it and follow your helpful  instructions. Hopefully, I'd have it to work. If not I'll have to replace the switch,

Thanks

Randy