lobf

Replacement Heater Valve?

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

So it looks like I misplaced my heater valve over the years... didn't realize it would be such a costly replacement for a new one now that I'm rebuilding the heater box. 

Are there any any alternatives to buying a new one / refurbing an old one? i.e. is there a cheaper one from another car, or some kind of generic valve I can use? Am I stuck with a new or refurb? 

Thanks you guys! 

My valve is working fine for now...But maybe as a backup. How would you mount this to the OEM heater box support bracket? Or does it even need to be mounted?

Edited by ingramlee

If you check the archives, I think you'll find a thread on this very subject...someone on the board found a plastic ball valve--used in home plumbing so it'll withstand the pressure and heat found in a cooling system--that will work in place of the pricey BMW part.  The little plastic bracket that supports the valve on my '73 broke many years ago but I discovered that the hoses tying into the valve are stiff enough to support the valve and allow its operation without the bracket.  Or you can easily fabricate a support to hold the plastic valve in place.

The alternative is to find a used valve on the FAQ; they can be rebuilt with the properly sized O-ring.  Just keep in mind there are three different valves used on 2002s; early cars have a smaller diameter valve; the larger valves were fitted (IIRC) when the carb was changed from one to two barrels; later cars--beginning with squarelights--were fitted with a valve that has a small bleed hole in the valve to allow minimal coolant circulation even when the valve is closed.  That prevents crud buildup in the heater core when it's not used for long periods.

mike

Here's a link to a good thread on how to rebuild a heater valve: 

Hope that helps,

John

Edited by JohnS