• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to upgrade this rusty header

ymanchik

This is an eye sore to me so want to upgrade it. Any recommendations on headers you like? Also what is that sticking out towards the back of the header? Anything I need to worry about? Is there an o2 sensor on these cars? Thanks.

IMG_3311.JPG

IMG_3324.JPG

Edited by ymanchik

1970 BMW 2002

1977 BMW R75/7

Looks like a (74?) emissions exhaust manifold. The I.E. Shorty (2 part) would be the way to go unless you found an eirlier stock one or one from a tii. In any case, get the 320i exhaust gasket as it has a nice heat shield. 

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

That looks to me like it might be a CA spec '75 or '76 exhaust manifold with the full set of emissions integrations: one out the front and two out back, all blocked off at this point.

When I bought my '76 CA car it had similar/same (as I recall) manifold on it. I moved out of Ca and put a '74 manifold on it from a parts car. See photos:
- first is the '74 manifold with just one rear port, which I plugged (with plumbing cap :))

- second is the '76 stock, with the heatshield on it so covering most of what you could see :/, but shows the front port

I'm in similar situation now, looking to make an upgrade on the exhaust overall which is tired and has leaks, and will start from the cylinder head mani/header back to the tail. Researching now for Spring work, and posted a few days ago on subject. So far based on my research (here on the forum and through friends knowlegeable) the resounding advice I'm getting is to

1. go with a header. Ireland Engineering is a solid recommendation, with a couple others in the mix; Stahl being another top one

2. from there back either build it yourself (from my friend who has welding equipment :), buy a nice stainless (like IE), or just get any decent system that will bolt in

This is based on my goals of:

A. fix a problem (leaking exhaust)

B. gain any HP possible with the upgrade

C. improve the sound pleasure: interior noise decrease (see A.) also looking for a little bit of burble out the back, but very streetable daily driver

D: be an upgrade that would be appropriate for a relatively near-term engine overhaul and slight performance mod

I primarily drive street, with fun in twisty roads, and occasional auto-x.

Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 10.24.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 10.26.27 PM.png

Edited by otto

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002

13 hours ago, otto said:

That looks to me like it might be a CA spec '75 or '76 exhaust manifold with the full set of emissions integrations: one out the front and two out back, all blocked off at this point.

When I bought my '76 CA car it had similar/same (as I recall) manifold on it. I moved out of Ca and put a '74 manifold on it from a parts car. See photos:
- first is the '74 manifold with just one rear port, which I plugged (with plumbing cap :))

- second is the '76 stock, with the heatshield on it so covering most of what you could see :/, but shows the front port

I'm in similar situation now, looking to make an upgrade on the exhaust overall which is tired and has leaks, and will start from the cylinder head mani/header back to the tail. Researching now for Spring work, and posted a few days ago on subject. So far based on my research (here on the forum and through friends knowlegeable) the resounding advice I'm getting is to

1. go with a header. Ireland Engineering is a solid recommendation, with a couple others in the mix; Stahl being another top one

2. from there back either build it yourself (from my friend who has welding equipment :), buy a nice stainless (like IE), or just get any decent system that will bolt in

This is based on my goals of:

A. fix a problem (leaking exhaust)

B. gain any HP possible with the upgrade

C. improve the sound pleasure: interior noise decrease (see A.) also looking for a little bit of burble out the back, but very streetable daily driver

D: be an upgrade that would be appropriate for a relatively near-term engine overhaul and slight performance mod

I primarily drive street, with fun in twisty roads, and occasional auto-x.

@otto

- I'm in the same boat myself - looking to tackle the exhaust side of things, from the manifold to the tailpipe.  I acquired a tii exhaust manifold that I'm planning to put in.  (Actuallly, I ended up acquiring two but that's another story.)

Haven't yet decided on the center and rear components yet.  I'm leaning towards the IE stainless setup because it won't rust (unlike the stock one I currently have).  

Would be curious to hear what you end up doing, and why.   

-