Sign in to follow this  
RussTii

Sunroof headliner panel install

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Trying to slide the headliner sunroof panel to the front after installing newly painted sunroof. Can't seem to get past the forks holding the front edge of the sunroof. When I reverse the forks, ie: flip them, the sunroof doesn't fit correctly. It's way up in the front.  Seems the forks have a plastic slider which I assume rides on the top rail and when installed thusly preclude the headliner panel from getting past them  to reach the front snap holes. What am I missing here ?  

2 hours ago, RussTii said:

Trying to slide the headliner sunroof panel to the front after installing newly painted sunroof. Can't seem to get past the forks holding the front edge of the sunroof. When I reverse the forks, ie: flip them, the sunroof doesn't fit correctly. It's way up in the front.  Seems the forks have a plastic slider which I assume rides on the top rail and when installed thusly preclude the headliner panel from getting past them  to reach the front snap holes. What am I missing here ?  

Which style of front mounts (sliders) do you have?

The thin (longer) type were used on the older cars (nobody has seemed to figure out when BMW/Golde changed the design).

These are in my 69

IMG_7454.jpg

Installed.  If you remove the two screws and sliding mount, there are (2) knurled nuts that raise and lower the metal roof.

IMG_7201.jpg

Knurled adjustment nuts

IMG_7365.jpg

See how the thin slider allows the lower panel to "slide" back and forth using the same track.

IMG_7356.jpg

The thick (shorter) U-shaped type were used (I believe) on later cars.  Note you could recently buy these new from BMW.  I thought I was getting the thin ones but got these instead.  (Edit - these are a used set I got from another FAQr).

IMG_7467.jpg

If you use the newer U-shaped ones on *certain* 2002's, they will not allow the slider section to work (i.e. move all the way to the front).

Picture I took of a square-light (possibly a 76) with the newer style front sliders. These may be installed upside-down. The owner (and myself) were having trouble getting the sliding panel to work correctly.

IMG_1154_zps8a246dc8.jpg 

Edited by jgerock

The car is a 74 so it has the later style slider with the fork on one end only. The factory blue manual shows the earlier style with forks on both ends. The funny thing about this scenario is the sunroof has been apart before to replace the seals and now seemingly won't go back together after paint. Have tried the "Flip the sliders" approach and am aware the adjusters control panel height I'm wondering if there might be something obvious I've missed.  Looking for that "Ah Hah " moment. Probably more likely  a "Duh" moment.    

Did you look at the sunroof sections of Keith Kreeger's wonderful website www.my2002tii.com  ?  His 74 would be same as yours and uses the later "U" shaped front slider mounts. 

I've visited Keith's website and while it goes into pretty good detail on the sunroof panel itself, I really found nothing specifically addressing the sunroof headliner and it's installation. Am I looking in the wrong place ?

See about 1/2 way into this. It shows the correct position of the two front sliders. Keith bought new parts.

http://www.my2002tii.com/spring_2005/sunroof.htm

Looks like his website has experienced some issues.

Remember, you must first insert the sunroof headliner piece into the (2) long tracks before the tracks are secured to the car.  

One of the last pieces removed from the car AND one of the first to be installed.

Edited by jgerock