Sign in to follow this  
Destin H

what kind of alternator mount bushings to put in a 74 base.

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

My 74 doesn't have alternator mount bushings it has a bolt that is just a little bit too small in diameter, so the alternator tends to wiggle lose after hours of driving and doesn't charge my battery properly. There are many different alternator bushings, but I'm not sure which ones I need, are there any that fit around a bolt in the center, or should I discard the bolt and get something completly different?

thanks

Check realoem.com for the correct parts.  Then shop around for the best price.

Blunttech.com  is a good source.

Good luck.

I can't remember if the adjustment bolt has a neck on it or not. To be honest it only needs to provide support in one direction (where the belt pulls the alternator towards the water pump) so any reasonable fit bolt should do. 

Several vendors offer urethane bushing kits for 02 alternators--they are much preferred ove the OEM rubber bushings, which turn into black goo in a few years (what happened to yours).  The urethane bushings last indefinitely (or at least 25 years--that's when I installed a set on my car) and make adjusting the belt tension much easier as they have little or no give in 'em.

I'm sure Ireland, Blunt, 2002Haus etc have those bushing sets in stock.

mike