ymanchik

Best Shock/Spring upgrade option without lowering too much

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have original shocks and struts and I think it's time for an upgrade. Whats the best option for something that won't make the ride super stiff? I'd prefer to keep the car at stock height but also don't mind lowering it a little (an 1" or so). Thanks guys!

H&R Springs with Billy HDs is a good set-up. Lowers the car about 1.5 inches. I wanted a bit stiffer, so I went with Billy Sports. Also a good time to look at all of the bushings underneath and maybe upgrade to larger sway bars. The difference in my car from the tired stock set-up to now is night and day. I love it.

Bilstein HD.

And stock springs, for Seattle's great bike lanes...

t

11 hours ago, thinksound_mike said:

H&R Springs with Billy HDs is a good set-up. Lowers the car about 1.5 inches. ... Also a good time to look at all of the bushings underneath and maybe upgrade to larger sway bars. The difference in my car from the tired stock set-up to now is night and day. I love it.

+ 1  This is the setup I have on my '73... HD shocks vs Sports, which on a 2002 are very stiff.  I replaced all the front suspension bushings with OEM rubber bushings as I didn't want the harshness associated with urethane bushings.  The only exception was to use urethane bushings in the sway bar links and mounts, as they don't affect the car's ride--they only come into play when cornering, where you want stiff bushings.  I also have 22mm front and 19mm rear sway bars.  Nice comfortable ride, much improved handling and not too low for the street. 

mike

Suspension Technique springs seem to lower car only a half inch or so.  Combine with Billy HDs. 

I liked the ST height AND rate- but as things get more pot- holey around here, they do run out of travel sooner.

DO buy new bumpstops in front no matter what you decide.

t

18 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

Bilstein HD's

Ireland Eng. Stg.1 spring and swaybars.

Still nice and tall, but handles oh-so-nice.

*This is assuming the rest of your suspension rubber is in good working order.

EDIT: Bang, here you go ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322399172877?ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Ha, nice, I already reached out to him and hoping to pick that up, hopefully it doesn't get too expensive. 

I upgraded the sway bars a couple years ago. Do you recommend the poly bushings? should I replace the control arms at the same time or leave them be?

9 hours ago, mike said:

+ 1  This is the setup I have on my '73... HD shocks vs Sports, which on a 2002 are very stiff.  I replaced all the front suspension bushings with OEM rubber bushings as I didn't want the harshness associated with urethane bushings.  The only exception was to use urethane bushings in the sway bar links and mounts, as they don't affect the car's ride--they only come into play when cornering, where you want stiff bushings.  I also have 22mm front and 19mm rear sway bars.  Nice comfortable ride, much improved handling and not too low for the street. 

mike

Hey Mike,

That's good to know. I have that same setup for sway bars and now looking to do the rest of the suspension. Good to know on the rubber bushing being a softer ride than the urethane, I prefer softer. And I think the sway bar came with polyurethane bushings so I'm good there. Did you change the control arms out? If not, why? Thanks

3 hours ago, TobyB said:

I liked the ST height AND rate- but as things get more pot- holey around here, they do run out of travel sooner.

DO buy new bumpstops in front no matter what you decide.

t

From the little research I've done, it looks like the Bilsteings HD's have internal bump stops, no? If not, can you direct me to where I can buy them? Having trouble finding anything. Thanks.

18 minutes ago, ymanchik said:

From the little research I've done, it looks like the Bilsteings HD's have internal bump stops, no? 

They do

4 hours ago, ymanchik said:

Hey Mike,

That's good to know. I have that same setup for sway bars and now looking to do the rest of the suspension. Good to know on the rubber bushing being a softer ride than the urethane, I prefer softer. And I think the sway bar came with polyurethane bushings so I'm good there. Did you change the control arms out? If not, why? Thanks

If your control arm bushings are worn out, it's easier to get new arms because they come with rubber bushings installed. Of all the bushings on the car, these are the hardest. Unless you're doing urethane, or have a press, it's a giant pain and you may end up bending the arms anyways.