• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whirring transmission/clutch when in Neutral

ymanchik

This has been going on for awhile but I haven't been driving the car much so been putting it off. But time I got it fixed. When the car is in neutral, there is a very noticable whirring noise right under the gear shift lever. As soon as I press the clutch and put it into gear, it goes away. Any suggestions on what it could be?

Also not sure if related but It's really hard to shift into 1st from neutral. I usually go into 2nd then into 1st which is smooth and easy. Related or is this a totally other problem? Thanks

This is in my 1971 2002. I'm in West Seattle if anyone is around, bored and willing to give me a hand in exchange for pizza/beer and company.

1970 BMW 2002

1977 BMW R75/7

How many miles on the car and/ or age of the clutch and related components?

Most likely is related to

1). imbalance of clutch and drive plate plate, 

2). Bearing for gearbox input shaft in crankshaft defective.

3). clutch shiftier worn or defective

4). Clutch rivets loose

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

I'm going to say it's the throw-out bearing. Mine used to do the same thing. The tranny eventually blew up after a long drive the day before (4 hour ride). The back of the tranny casing exploded making a very loud bang while in the middle of an intersection. Change the bearing and you should be all set otherwise you run the risk of changing a lot more than that. It will also give you a chance to inspect the clutch the and other components while you have it apart.

Good luck!

mike tunney

2 minutes ago, thinksound_mike said:

I'm going to say it's the throw-out bearing. Mine used to do the same thing. The tranny eventually blew up after a long drive the day before (4 hour ride). The back of the tranny casing exploded making a very loud bang while in the middle of an intersection. Change the bearing and you should be all set otherwise you run the risk of changing a lot more than that. It will also give you a chance to inspect the clutch the and other components while you have it apart.

Good luck!

Thanks! Glad you told me that, I'll put that on my list of things to do asap. 

So something like this? - http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pn.aspx?sku=10107902-21511204224&vehicle=1970 BMW 2002 E10&brand=Fichtel-Sachs&utm_source=google&utm_medium=nonpaid&utm_campaign=froogleSKU_BMW&gclid=Cj0KEQiAk5zEBRD9lfno2dek0tsBEiQAWVKyuItmjyX77EhArFRDaESyVTzzrYox5FD1usu68QyPe-caAvaM8P8HAQ

1970 BMW 2002

1977 BMW R75/7

10 minutes ago, thinksound_mike said:

Good luck!

What else do you recommend I do while I'm replacing the throwout bearing since I'll be taking a lot of it apart? Is there anything else that I should replace/upgrade at the same time?

1970 BMW 2002

1977 BMW R75/7

10 minutes ago, stephers said:

Probably not the release bearing if it goes away when you step on the clutch, that's when the RB is engaged. More likely it is the front input shaft bearing, this is the one that usually goes. If you do this one, you may as well overhaul the box

Thanks, Rick

Thanks Rick! What do you mean by overhauling the box? Rebuilding the transmission? I thought of doing that a few years back and was quoted $1000-$1500 and decided against it.

Do you think it would be a good idea to replace the clutch at the same time with a Sach's clutch kit?

1970 BMW 2002

1977 BMW R75/7

Well, I would check the clutch for sure when the tranny is out, I would also pull the flywheel and check the rear main seal and pilot shaft brg.  It might be worth your while to find a five speed and put that in.   I think that any used 4 speed will probably have an issue or two so if you want to stay with a 4 speed, do yours, at least you know what you have. I have a small shop up here in Canada and do mostly 2002's  email me at alfaspider1969@gmail.com   ( also have a 69 Alfa spider hence the email address )

Thanks, Rick

1 minute ago, Buckeye said:

You shouldn't buy parts till such time transmission removed and clutch parts inspected closely. Steve (Blunttech) good source to help you with what you need. meanwhile for reference only (clutch kit)

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-clutch-kit-2002-kf137-01

Thanks, I'll reach out to Steve.

1970 BMW 2002

1977 BMW R75/7