• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

38 DGAS or DGES???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm about to order a weber carb, just wondering what exactly I should get. Going on an otherwise stock daily driver car. Dont want anything too expencive, but I dont want anything that will hold me back now or after the car has a few more mods.

Will the 38 series be enough? If so what exact one works best, electric choke or water choke?

Guest Anonymous

for a daily driver type of set-up I have been very pleased with my 32/36 w/ manual choke. Starts everytime and it's fairly easy to adjust . . . and I believe it is less expensive than the 38s. Just my thoughts.

Guest Anonymous

panviewsmall.jpg

URL: http://www.winnsecurity.com/norcal02

38/38 is just as fine for daily driving as far as I know. DGAS and DGES are just two different kind of chokes but I dont know which is which. One is water and one is electric I think. Anyhow, I have a manual choke 38/38 that I pulled apart and have yet to put back together but it will be going on the car that I'm just setting up to be a driver. Dubois had an 02 with a 38/38 but sold it recently. Maybe he'll respond here...

Guest Anonymous

You can use either one and different people have different opinions as to what's better. Electric is easier to install since you just have to hook a single wire from the choke to a switched power source, water is more accurate in terms of mixture relative to engine temp, since it's based on the coolant temperature. The down side is you have to run water lines to and from the carb, but that's no big deal really.

Matt @

Max

Guest Anonymous

hell straight out of the box. I was thinking of the 38/38 but you need to check your compression ratio first I think. You don't want to blow a lot of unburned fuel through the cylinders. Also make sure your intake is hogged out enough to handle the larger butterfly valves. My 2 cents.

Guest Anonymous

I took it off my old 32/36 and added it to the 38. It DOES work faily well, its easy to dicker with.

I wouldnt mind hearing from the manual choke guys - there may be more flexibility there to make life easier...

Guest Anonymous

I have had my 38 on for a year or so (albeit with 6 months post-rear end smash) and am keen to start jet experimenting now i am back in the saddle.

archives show some concensus to go with a smaller than-out-the-box idle jet to help with the off-the-line neck snapping zoom.

Guest Anonymous

You can get a manual choke kit from JAM or Pierce Manifolds for the 38 DGES or DGAS. I have a 38DGEs that I put the manual choke kit on. It replaced an old 32/36DGV manual choke carb. The factory manual choke 32/36DGV works better than a kitted manual choke 38DGES/DGAS in my experience. The 32/36DGC choke is just smoother and better responding.

The 38 really kicks on the highway, but around town, the 38 is a bit stumbly on my old ('76 145Kmi.) stock motor. Maybe its too much carb for a stock motor.

Look into the single sidedraft Lynx manifld setupm in addition to the downdrafts.

CD has published a jetting "prescription" on the roadfly board that may be the ticket for a 32/36.

I'd have to say that the 32/36DGV is the cheap ticket and the Lynx sidedraft is the hot-looking ticket.

Guest Anonymous

rebuild (w/ 9.5:1 compression) and it starts immediately whether it's 15 degrees on a frosty morn in Jan. in Nogales, AZ or 105 on a nice Tucson afternoon in June. I run 137 mains and 185 air correction jets for my 4000' elevation in Nogales. Previously I ran a 32/36 w/ a stock factory rebuild. It was water choke, but I didn't care for the hoses req'd. to run it. Just my view.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

choke and is different procedure and a little touchy- but it workee- just fired-up the Sahara yesterday after a 4 week sit. Optima red plus Chevron 91 plus all the other hot stuff made it go on second try. I actually prefer manual chokes like i had on my MG. But, the BMW ones have worked well over the years. I hhad water on my 32/36 as well.