rapandi

Wtb: Headlight buckets(American Style)

32 posts / 1700 viewsLast Reply

9 hours ago, danco_ said:

Raj, is this for your 72 tii? there are differences between headlight buckets if I recall. 67-72 is one style, 73+ is another style.

Good luck! 

Hi @danco_

Yeah it is for my EURO RHD 2002Tii. VIN 2751344. 

I have been looking for a solution for improving my headlight power. The euro buckets are very different and they never came with sealed beams. The reflector on mine is in very poor condition and it needs to be resilvered. However, even after putting money into the resilvering process the light out put at best will be average. Getting the US buckets will aid in improving my options of using sealed beams with better lighting.

However having said that - I didn't know that there was a difference between years. EEEEkkkk! I have been searching for more info on this for months now and there is very very little info on the conversion from Euro to US buckets. So in essence I am shooting in the dark here. @Simeon and @Conserv have been instrumental in giving me advice.

Would you know which bucket would be suitable for my Tii? Should I be hunting for the 67-72 style? Well what exactly is the difference mainly? Do they bolt differently to the car body?

Regards

Raj

38 minutes ago, rapandi said:

Hi @danco_

Yeah it is for my EURO RHD 2002Tii. VIN 2751344. 

I have been looking for a solution for improving my headlight power. The euro buckets are very different and they never came with sealed beams. The reflector on mine is in very poor condition and it needs to be resilvered. However, even after putting money into the resilvering process the light out put at best will be average. Getting the US buckets will aid in improving my options of using sealed beams with better lighting.

However having said that - I didn't know that there was a difference between years. EEEEkkkk! I have been searching for more info on this for months now and there is very very little info on the conversion from Euro to US buckets. So in essence I am shooting in the dark here. @Simeon and @Conserv have been instrumental in giving me advice.

Would you know which bucket would be suitable for my Tii? Should I be hunting for the 67-72 style? Well what exactly is the difference mainly? Do they bolt differently to the car body?

Regards

Raj

Not quite sure on the physical differences, but deep and shallow bezel grilles allow the light to sit differently, which would make me think that the headlight brackets are also different. I know I have both kinds somewhere in the garage, so I can theoretically take a look. 

But, I also have a spare set of complete H4 euro lights with the high output bulbs, purchased from a group buy a year or so ago.

(edited)

Hey, Raj,

The U.S. headlight buckets are the same from 1966 through 1976.  There is a part number change with the square taillight cars (commencing September 1973) solely because the sealed beam retaining ring shifts from plated (most were silver cadmium plated but I believe the very early cars may have had chrome plating) to black powdercoating.  The retaining ring is a minor component and can be swapped with 3 screws.  But the buckets themselves are fully interchangeable.  The shallow-grille implementation had no effect whatsoever on the U.S. headlight bucket.  It simply meant that one no longer needed the asymmetric filler rings that dressed up the gap -- on deep-grille cars -- between the headlight retaining ring and the leading edge of the deep-grille's headlight surround.

Here's a set I restored for the 1973.  Honestly, I have no idea what year car they came off: I bought them on eBay.

For a round taillight car, you need: 2 headlight buckets, 2 plated retaining rings, 2 asymmetric filler rings with tiny fragile gaskets.  You skip the filler rings if your car -- late 1972 model year through end of 1973 model year -- has shallow grilles.  I've said it many times before, I'd bet that a huge portion of deep grille cars are today missing the filler rings.  It's no big deal.

Photos below:

1. Typical un-loved headlight bucket.  9 out of 10 that I've seen have paint overspray from post-factory front end repairs (oddly, even on 5th owner cars that have "never been hit" 😋).  The buckets were fully plated originally and installed by the factory after the car was painted.

2. Typical un-loved retaining rings.  Probably not particularly early as they simply have tired Cadmium plating.

3. Loved retaining rings.  Re-plated in clear zinc.  Note, this photo shows two slightly-different styles.  The ring on the right has a slightly longer skirt.  I've noticed minor differences such as these among buckets and rings.  I don't know if these differences reflect (a.) intentional design changes over time, (b.) "accidental" manufacturing differences related to or un-related to time (e.g., a change in suppliers, multiple simultaneous suppliers, or a change in manufacturing method), or (c.) something else, but none of these minor differences seems to affect the universal fit of the buckets and retaining rings.

4. Loved headlight buckets.  Re-plated in yellow and clear zinc.  One of these is the same as shown in the first photo.  It always takes me about 15 minutes to distinguish a left bucket from a right bucket so I'm not going to even try!

Regards,

Steve

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_4290.JPG

IMG_3886.JPG

IMG_3887.JPG

Edited by Conserv

45 minutes ago, Conserv said:

I'd bet that a huge portion of deep grille cars are today missing the filler rings.

I had no idea!!!  No wonder my headlights sit 1" too deep and do not look right in my opinion.  I am making a set of brackets/standoffs to relocate the headlight buckets out to allow for the lamps to sit flush with the front edges of the deep grill buckets.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Tsingtao_1903 said:

... I am making a set of brackets/standoffs to relocate the headlight buckets out to allow for the lamps to sit flush with the front edges of the deep grill buckets.

Or....start looking for a set of the filler rings -- admittedly not easy: many were discarded because they bent easily and were often a nuisance to install.  Below is a photo of a filler ring (bottom), with its gasket in typically poor condition, and a retaining ring (top).

Or....buy a pair of shallow grilles...

Regards,

Steve

IMG_5249.JPG

Edited by Conserv

17 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Or....start looking for a set of the filler rings

Don't mean to hijack the thread.  In the picture, the filler ring appears to be high on one side and low on the other side.  On my car, the headlights sit back about 1" equally from the leading edge of the grille buckets.  Have no idea if this is by design or not.  Even if I could find the filler rings, they will not sit correctly in my grille buckets.  It's much easier to relocate the headlight buckets out so that the headlights meet up with the grilles.

1 hour ago, Tsingtao_1903 said:

Don't mean to hijack the thread.  In the picture, the filler ring appears to be high on one side and low on the other side.  On my car, the headlights sit back about 1" equally from the leading edge of the grille buckets.  Have no idea if this is by design or not.  Even if I could find the filler rings, they will not sit correctly in my grille buckets.  It's much easier to relocate the headlight buckets out so that the headlights meet up with the grilles.

Based on my research and the conversations with Steve, that asymmetrical filler ring will not make the buckets sit flush with the front grill. It is made for the deep buckets whereby all it does is it FILLS the empty gap. The headlight will still sit recessed irrespectively.

Which is why I too intend on using spacers to somehow get the lights to sit flush with my deep grills. If you do this anytime soon then pls do share some pics with me.