• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Headlights

bens1088

Hey guys!

I work over at Dapper Lighting and wanted to get some input from you guys. We recently have been getting interest from some BMW 2002 owners on our lights and wanted to see if anyone would be intersted in doing a write up in exchange for a discount. 

We produce plug and play (real) projector headlight systems for sealed beam cars. We are very well known in the Z community and got enough support to start developing LED products such as sequential tail lights for them. I wanted to see if you guys are interested in putting modern lighting tech into your 2002s and how we could be of assistance.

I've attached a few photos (output pic is of a Z, rest is from a customer). Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Thanks!

Ben

support@dapperlighting.com

www.dapperlighting.com

415-493-8236

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 5.07.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 5.07.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 5.07.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 5.08.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 5.08.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 5.09.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 5.09.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 5.10.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 5.10.17 PM.png

output_Raokst-1 (dragged)wtrmk.jpg

output_Raokst-2 (dragged)wtrmk.jpg

• Like 1

www.dapperlighting.com

Cool, Ben,

How do you address this remark from Daniel Stern?

It's tricky to judge headlamp beam performance without a lot of knowledge, a lot of training and a lot of special equipment, because subjective perceptions are very misleading. Having a lot of strong light in the foreground, that is on the road close to the car and out to the sides, is very comforting and reliably produces a strong impression of "good headlights". The problem is that not only is foreground lighting of decidedly secondary importance when travelling much above 30 mph, but having a very strong pool of light close to the car causes your pupils to close down, worsening your distance vision...all the while giving you this false sense of security. This is to say nothing of the massive amounts of glare to other road users and backdazzle to you, the driver, that results from these "retrofits".

Do you have a comparison of beam patterns, your product vs. H4's?

Link: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I'd definitely be interested if you had euro beam-pattern, however, off the bat I can say i'm a bit critical of the the angel eye treatment. It's a bit to ricey for my tastes and I'd likely end up modding them for a simpler, cleaner look. Just removing that element so it's a less busy transition to the reflector could help. 

Do you have a blacked out model as well? A larger lensed, deeper set, or less centrally located (upper justified and deeper set) could be interesting. That said, I would do many illegal things for a set of Euro-compliant LED lamps with smooth, clear outer lenses, and a mirrored or smoked reflector that looked modern-fresh ;). That, or the above lights fully blacked-out without angel eyes might be interesting! 

I could do a writeup here, and on my fledgling brunhilde blog I'm just starting on my website @ jeffjuarezdesign.com. Either way, I'd be more than happy to put them on and give them a try!

Interesting.  While "angel eyes" are a sought-after mod in some BMWs that didn't come with them (e.g. E36s), it doesn't look quite right on a 2002.  Just my opinion.  

I'd definitely consider a version without them, though, depending on the usual factors - cost, work involved in installing, etc.  

-

I personally think that ellipsoids and bi-xenons incorporated into the 7" headlight would be the way to go, I did this for my 2004 G-wagon that uses the same diameter. I can do without those rings personally. I currently have bought 7" LED substitutes and I will probably get a dremel and install morimoto's into the housing, Morimoto's are perfect in distance and brightness. (No I don't work for morimoto, it was just better than using the factory MB or BMW ellipsoids).