• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dynamat vs ??

larryt

hi all! 

im researching various sound deadening products and it seems EVERYONE uses dynamat, however there are other product available on the market which might be worth a try.

my question is has anyone gone against the norm and used a different (maybe cheaper) product and found similar results to dynamat?

thanks

Laurence  

2 minutes ago, MatthewCervi said:

I have a feeling that "everyone" uses the term dynamat generically.  I know I've used fatmat and something else (that I can't remember the name of currently) and been happy with them.

thanks, im aware that dynamat have a number of products but they seem to dominate the sound deadening/vibration game. im not sure if its a brand power thing or its genuinely the best product out there

Oh, just "B-Quiet".  The system uses a lower adhesive attached mat to absorb vibrations and lower the frequency,  intermediate uncoupler mat to uncouple the remaining vibrations (sound) from an upper absorbing mat.  This is the same theory that the car had originally, only the original system had the upper absorbing mat incorporated into the carpet.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

If your research included using the Search option (top right on each page) on this forum you, undoubtedly, discovered a number of materials used by owners here.  Of course, your choices in the UK may differ from ours here in the US.

I have RAAMmat and Ensolite to install when I get around to replacing my carpet with the Esty set.

http://www.raamaudio.com/

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I use peel & seal from Lowes  $16 for 6" x 25 ft works great on floors & doors easy to use as it's just 6" wide, cheap too , best applied in a warm climate , situation , heated garage, sunny day etc.

Edited by LimeySteve

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Just a heads up.

Checking Peel and seal on some hot rod forums, there have been issues of it oozing a bit and losing adhesiveness when it is hot. (It is asphalt based) Some stated Peel & Seal is designed for rooftops, so there have been issues of it falling off headliners and vertical surfaces. 

A little cheaper alternative may be EZ Cool. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

I'm a closet audiophile as well as 02 geek, both on beer budgets so I'm always looking for the best bang-for-buck ratio.   When doing research for my build I found this INSANELY over the top anal retentive head to head (ok, after typing that I realized that description should just be left alone, unpondered, don't even think about if it could really be a thing) shootout of constrained layer dampening sound deadeners - http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-reviews-product-comparisons/146403-sound-deadening-cld-testing-69.html.  Years of testing in his garage, all with detailed graphs and waterfall charts -- that's a level of geek that few can rise to (and even fewer aspire to). 

Needless to say, I couldn't wait for the final results so I compared all the info to date a couple years ago, and sorted them in order of effectiveness but with an added vector of weight - I wanted the lightest, best performing product at a reasonable cost. Dynamat Xtreme seemed to win by a mile.

the really cool thing was digging out that site from the depths of my browser bookmarks after all this time, and seeing that he finally finished his testing and came to the same conclusion.  There are other better performing CLD product out there, but only if weight is no object. For an 02, Dynamat Xtreme is da bomb. 

For the best site for an education on sound deadening, what CLD is and how to use it, try https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Stay away from the roofing products - they are asphalt based so will off gas in your car, and are designed to flow when they get warm (that's what helps them seal against nail holes which is good on your roof but not so good in your interior).  More importantly, there are other product that work better, cheaper, for sound deadening. 

Edited by Solarphil

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy

12 hours ago, cbesing said:

I went to Home Depot an purchased AC Duct insulation. Comes in 18" wide rolls. Silver foil over 1/8" insulation with mild adhesive. Worked great and stupid cheap. 

+1 that's what i have used for a while now, easy,cheap and very light.

Standing on the shoulders of giants. The real cred goes to Toostubborn2fail - a perfect screen name if ever there was one.  I don't know what level of crazy stick-to-itiveness it takes to run a thread much less an experiment that long, that involved, through all the trials and tribulations that popped up, for free, but god bless. It's that kind of crazy shit that makes the internet fun

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy