• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double Din Faceplate!

jackwalsh11

unless you use a Behr console or other console with a wider face panel, width will be a tight fit, if it fits at all

measure the double din bracket width then apply those measurements to your face panel

you can make one yourself with a bit of patience...buy a piece of 22 gauge sheet metal at lowes...home deopot, etc, cut the hole, use hi-strength adhesive, cover with vinyl

Jack, as i said, if you have the usual console side panels building a face that will accommodate your double DIN may not work...it will be wider towards the bottom and push the front of your side panels too far apart for them to fasten to the shift surround without bending and/or stressing the attachment points...

if i was doing it, i'd try and find some Behr side panels and build the face to thhose, it allows for much more space from top to bottom...i think if you had a face panel, you'd be able to visualize more what i'm talking about...fitting a single din in a regular console face is a tight fit unless you place it at the top of the panel...

the only way you'll get one is to find something someone else has for sale that they built, find someone to make one for you or DIY

here's a BEHR modified face panel where the ac was removed...it's considerably wider top to bottom because of the shape of the side panels that allow it to fit the shift surround

1.jpg

DINDIN!

come and geddit!

I am not a personal fan of dindin stereos, BUT I am also not a big fan

of the consoles fitted to the 2002.  So I went to the local Pull- your-Part,

and got a VW center console.  From a Scirocco, but if you measure, I bet you

could find something less... luddite... that might fit.  And certainly not look any

WORSE than what came with the 2002.  My personal favorite look is no console

whatsoever, but I have yet to build a car that looks that way.

fwiw

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

36 minutes ago, TobyB said:

DINDIN!

come and geddit!

I am not a personal fan of dindin stereos, BUT I am also not a big fan

of the consoles fitted to the 2002.  So I went to the local Pull- your-Part,

and got a VW center console.  From a Scirocco, but if you measure, I bet you

could find something less... luddite... that might fit.  And certainly not look any

WORSE than what came with the 2002.  My personal favorite look is no console

whatsoever, but I have yet to build a car that looks that way.

fwiw

t

Pics??

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

5 hours ago, jackwalsh11 said:

Hey everyone,

I need a faceplate for my center console that fits a double din stereo. I'd love to not have to custom fabricate something as that will be a bit of money. 

Anything helps! 

Go to a stereo installer.  There will be many generic double din faceplates for various vehicles.  Pick one that about the width of your console.  Or make one.  Post pics of what you have....I made a custom faceplate for my center console that includes a DIN radio, clock, cubby, and 3 vdo gauges...I could have easily made it double DIN without the cubby.  I thought a double DIN touchscreen in an 02 was too modern but its your car not mine..lol.

Here is what my console ended up looking like....

IMG_6419.jpg?resize=540,405

IMG_6431.jpg?resize=540,405

Edited by jrhone

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Yes you can fit a double DIN in the standard console as I have a single DIN stereo and under it is a DIN sized cubby. So a Double DIN would would fit in that space. I made my console from wood and painted it. I could have used plastic or metal. Just depends on what you are comfortable working with. Made a template up in a word processor. Printed it out. Then taped it to the wood and used a dremel and hole saw to cut the holes. Then put mounting brackets on it to screw it to the side panels that I recovered in vinyl. I then covered the wood in bondo. Smoothed it and sanded it so it was a nice hard surface and then painted it. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

hope this helps....

I fabricated a center console face plate (or whatever it's called) out of MDF, with a lot of wood glue and some body filler. it didn't go as smooth as I would have liked because of issues with paint reactions and also I dropped it on the floor once :s

some details in here... with a crappy step-by-step.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/entry/933-winter-is-coming/

final product

30141092331_3b14951330_z.jpg

Edited by MildSeven

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

I think parker performance may still be able to make you a double din faceplate that could be subbed in if you have the sides. 

parkerperformance.com

It isn't that hard to make a custom faceplate out of 20g steel. Having access to a bending brake makes it a lot easier to form the sides, but you can do the same thing with a hammer and bending against a straight bench edge.

Rob S
'69 2002; '04 330i ZHP; 2018 X1; 2014 535i; 2017 340i

The face plate for my console was laid out in CAD and then sent out to be cut on a waterjet.  I do not know who did the work or the cost.  I do remember finding a online source that specialized in face plates of all sorts.  If you can get a drawing in the right format that might be an option.  If I remember correctly some had a online drawing tool if you didn't have something like CAD.  

Just a thought :)

1975 non-purist driver M42 Turbo, Hurricane a/c, and all sorts of cool stuff

1976 2002 sold, 1970 2002 sold, 1969 1600 sold