• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 1600 Survivor Bristol Grey

HBChris

Price reduced to $15,000:

Built 12/68 and owned by a friend, I am listing it for him here and on the e9 forum before going mainstream. 

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO236RdUAlRHPYZTAK_bVGxOoOGChz0x6gtTqhRqMoDbl229SkKUna7QAVZh9oMdA?key=NnhDZ2x1dmVZUXNnYjZsdHFGYVFuREtUbmhoR3hn

Three owners, sold new in Fresno, lived in Bay Area from 1986 until 2013, in Camarillo since. Black CA license plates, 83k miles indicated but TMU, blue interior, three piece dash, repainted years ago, new headliner and windshield glass and seals, A/C console but no hoses or compressor, red tail lights, short euro bumper guards, 1600Ti sport steering wheel.  Seats are from a square light but original wide seats w/o headrest seats included but need recovering.  Service receipts since 1986, paint shines nicely but it has scratches and such.  Send me a PM and will provide my contact info, asking $15,000, the owner will review all serious offers.

It is almost as nice as my manila 69 I sold four years ago for $14K and it resold this year for $23K.  It needs an owner who isn't going to change it or hot rod it, it's a true survivor.  If sold outside of CA black plates will stay in CA.

Chris

Edited by HBChris
Fixed Link

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Thanks, it works for me but Picasa is now Google and my photos haven't transferred and there are no instructions.  I can e-mail links I believe, maybe Google is having issues?

Fixed link above, please let me know if it works.

Edited by HBChris

HBChris

Interesting car...The production date is 12/68 but it has a couple of features that supposedly didn't go on cars until 1/69--the later style trunk lid torsion bars (no plastic caps) and front and rear side reflectors.  But it has the early style carpet.  A US spec 1969 model year car should have the tall bumper guards and the US style license plates.  The rear bumper is from a Euro car--note that the car actually has four license plate lights.

BTW, the back seat is also from a later squarelight--it matches the front seats.   An early car would have had a flat rear seat back, not the curved style that was introduced sometime in 1970 or 71.  Also the Frigiking A/C unit is later than 1969.  Early cars like that one would have either had a Mk IV unit, or a Frigiking whose outlets filled the dash shelf and whose condenser filled up the glovebox.

Regardless, it's a really nice car and a very cool color.  Anyone know the VIN?  It's not readable in the photos.

cheers

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I expect the VIN is between 1567199 (November 23, 1968) and 1567736 (January 28, 1969), and I've convinced myself that I can see 1567xxx.  No VIN tag on the top of the steering column "clamshell." Was that a January 1, 1969 addition? I now know that European-spec cars never received that VIN tag.  Given the mixed details, it's either (a.) a European-spec car -- i.e., at original delivery -- but perhaps imported and Federalized during the era, thus requiring side markers, U.S.-spec license plate lights, U.S. underhood labelling, etc.; or, and much more likely, given the U.S.-style dashboard (b.) a U.S.-spec car on which, as with most nearly-50-year-old cars, some things have been changed over time - despite the car's generally-impressive originality!  And maybe some of the December 1968 cars acquired the U.S.-mandated side markers, head restraints (I realize the car's current seats are 1975-76), etc.  Either way, it wouldn't be difficult to take this back to its original delivery specs.  It's clearly been loved.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

It's a US 1600, 1567513 so late December build.  Yes, seats are from a square light, A/C is original unit, rear bumper was swapped with a euro style hence the four lights and small bumper covers front and rear.  Owner has a set of correct front seats that need recovering/rebuilding.  I've only seen one Mark IV unit and it was on a 71 1600 and sat on top of dash, looked pretty weird. 

CIMG3045.JPG

Edited by HBChris

HBChris

I had an opportunity to take a look at this car. It is an awesome survivor numbers matching car in very nice condition. As quoted earlier there are a few items that had been upgraded over the years such as the later seats, but overall a very nice clean car for anyone wanting an original classic 1600.
Runs and drives like the well maintained car that it is. Virtually no rust! Very clean.
I am sure once Chris spends a little time on it it will be even better.

I'm a BMW Zombie and there's no cure!

Bump:. Price reduced to $15,000 OBO

I just restored the instrument cluster and cleaned and rewrapped the engine bay wiring in the correct thin tape.  The trunk compartment will be next.  I had never driven a 1600 before and I am amazed how nimble and responsive it is on 165-13 tires, I wish I could keep it but I already have four vintage BMWs.

Chris

HBChris

26 minutes ago, HBChris said:

Bump:. Price reduced to $15,000 OBO

I just restored the instrument cluster and cleaned and rewrapped the engine bay wiring in the correct thin tape.  The trunk compartment will be next.  I had never driven a 1600 before and I am amazed how nimble and responsive it is on 165-13 tires, I wish I could keep it but I already have four vintage BMWs.

Chris

Very interesting car and color.  I'm tapped out on cars and room.  I wish all the best to the buyer and seller(s).  

Jim 

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"