• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Turbo KKK rebuild

'74Turbo

Hi all:  This is my first post here after acquiring a '74 Turbo about a month ago or so.  The car's a little rough around the edges and needs some work, not least of which is the KKK.  I was quoted ~$6,500 (6,000 euros) for a rebuilt turbocharger, which struck me as awfully high. 

I'm new to the world of '02s, so I was wondering if anyone here has any opinions as to the $$$.  I know of others who've gone with different units, but I'd like to stick with the KKK.  I wanna make sure I'm not getting fleeced here, so any insights would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

I was quoted £3500 8 years ago for new KKK From BMW and they couldn't even tell me when I'd get it. I found a similar unit in Sweden in the end for half that. There are companies that can rebuild them - even try the UK as Car SoS featured a rebuilt Turbo recently (TV Programme). Failing that there is a Garrett large unit you might want to try instead. Good luck.

Chairman of the 02 Register BMW Car Club (GB) Ltd.

On 11/24/2016 at 1:16 PM, www.bmw2002.co.uk said:

I was quoted £3500 8 years ago for new KKK From BMW and they couldn't even tell me when I'd get it. I found a similar unit in Sweden in the end for half that. There are companies that can rebuild them - even try the UK as Car SoS featured a rebuilt Turbo recently (TV Programme). Failing that there is a Garrett large unit you might want to try instead. Good luck.

I've heard the Garrett unit is not exactly the same spec as the original KKK, as such it changes the cars character and needs some changes to have it function. Can you explain "similar unit in Sweden?"

I installed a Garrett turbo on a customer's car that did not have an original turbo.  The results were fantastic, it makes almost 5 psi of boost by 2500 rpm  (it is set to still run the same 7.5 psi at max boost)  it takes some fabrication skills to make it work.  The internal waste gate actuator needed to be moved  and a completely new down pipe had to be fabricated,  the inlet from the air filter was a different size so an adaptor had to be made.  He has 2 cars, one with the original turbo and one with the Garrett and he usually chooses to drive the one with the Garrett but still loves the stock car also.  I seriously thought about putting a modern turbo on my car and keeping the stock KKK on the shelf but decided that originality was more important to me,  I enjoy the fact that 42 years ago THIS is what a Turbocharged car drove like!

That being said I have just had 2 stock KKK turbos rebuilt by Com Turbo Technology  www.compturbo.com for less than $500 each.  I installed the first on a customer's car last week and it is working perfectly, so far.  I had another shop here in Seattle rebuild my 2 turbos almost 9 years ago but the guy that was in the shop has retired so I had to find someone else that could do the work.  Everyone says that there are no available parts but Comp Turbo said that if they could not find something that would work they could make anything that was needed.  They had these turbos for less than 5 working days before they were on the way back to me.  So far I'm impressed.  (the last shop had them for over 6 months and did absolutely nothing with them except tell me they were working on them) 

If you don't have a stock KKK turbo to rebuild you are in a serious world of hurt.  They don't show up very often for sale and when they do there is a  feeding frenzy.  Good luck.  We are keeping an eye out for one for my customer but he is quite happy with the garrett, this car is a driver not a show car.       

Edited by Preyupy

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Dave at Turbo Technologies has rebuilt a ton of KKK turbos(Porsche turbos) for me. He can also modify them into "cheater" turbos with larger wheels or clipped wheels. Very affordable and fast.

They are old school and have no website. Info below..

Address
Phone (405) 789-5540

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

2 minutes ago, m6smitten said:

IIRC the Porsche runs K26 and K27 which are ubiquitous. The EB32G for BMW is a completely different animal. But anything is worth a try at this point.

I fully understand. My point is he is proficient in triple K's, honest, fair on price and fast. Worth a phone call. He is very friendly and will tell you yes or no..

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

• 2 weeks later...

Byron, you had mentioned in a past thread that there was a turbo for a Mitsubishi that you used on a BMW 2002 turbo, it worked excellently and needed a minimum of modification. Could you tell us again what it is. I suffer from the same limiting factor/reason as you. I would like more performance, but feel it is good to  keep the car true to its original spirit.

Thank you for sharing your expertise, as always

Best regards, Peter

DSCN0189.JPG

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum