• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pray for me... I bought a 2000Cs

zinz

Yes... some say it has a face only a mother could love, or that it's BMW's boat, esteemed '02 member Bo Black said to me that it is a "pig".... I. Don't. Care.  I love it.

#s matching car, originally Granada red, motor has good compression #s and runs well, synchros are good in the Getrag and the suspension and brakes are tight.  My nephew inspected it for me last weekend and he's trailering it out of Albuquerque over Thanksgiving. Here are a few pics from the Craigslist advert...

front right II.jpgfront right.jpgrear right.jpgengine bay.jpgdash.jpgtrunk.jpg

I've been reading and learning everything I can about these early coupes... seems to be a mix of 1800Ti, 2002ti, and e9.  Some parts are specific to the 2000CS, other bits can be had from other chassis. Nephew said it drove quite nicely and ran well, even cold. Interior and paint are cooked from sitting out in the NM sun for too many years, but I have plans to make all that right, again.  There is a bit of rust...it is a Coupe for goodness sake; but I don't believe what we've found is anything terminal. 

I'm pumped to get it home and begin working on it...  My Papa turned 87 this week and has fallen in love with it. Says it will be the perfect "church car". He looked at 100s of Google Images and told me, " you gotta find some of these chrome mirrors out on the front fenders...those are coooool"  Anyone have a good set of Talbot 333 mirrors? :)

Ed Z

front left II.jpg

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Yes... some say it has a face only a mother could love, or that it's BMW's boat, esteemed '02 member Bo Black said to me that it is a "pig".... I. Don't. Care.  I love it.

#s matching car, originally Granada red, motor has good compression #s and runs well, synchros are good in the Getrag and the suspension and brakes are tight.  My nephew inspected it for me last weekend and he's trailering it out of Albuquerque over Thanksgiving. Here are a few pics from the Craigslist advert...

581cbf60da246_frontrightII.thumb.jpg.49994adfe86190715c1e0a5989060a1e.jpg581cbf640a1da_frontright.thumb.jpg.82d71260294a86eb369fcb49f1847242.jpg581cbf676b0c7_rearright.thumb.jpg.867ff0a07988d369d7874bd6750905d7.jpg581cbf5a74752_enginebay.thumb.jpg.40b886bfddea7623a76397c6c294c75f.jpgdash.thumb.jpg.205c44f0fcf595ccd84a7abce7b737f1.jpgtrunk.thumb.jpg.f8346060481375c24e3302f74a002e60.jpg

I've been reading and learning everything I can about these early coupes... seems to be a mix of 1800Ti, 2002ti, and e9.  Some parts are specific to the 2000CS, other bits can be had from other chassis. Nephew said it drove quite nicely and ran well, even cold. Interior and paint are cooked from sitting out in the NM sun for too many years, but I have plans to make all that right, again.  There is a bit of rust...it is a Coupe for goodness sake; but I don't believe what we've found is anything terminal. 

I'm pumped to get it home and begin working on it...  My Papa turned 87 this week and has fallen in love with it. Says it will be the perfect "church car". He looked at 100s of Google Images and told me, " you gotta find some of these chrome mirrors out on the front fenders...those are coooool"  Anyone have a good set of Talbot 333 mirrors? [emoji4]

Ed Z

581cbf5dbc9c8_frontleftII.thumb.jpg.0fd67947c806a24d3bf2ef6299553c93.jpg

Fantastic find Ed. I can't wait to see it. Heck, anyone can have an '02. How many of those are running around. And it's a coupe!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

'76 Stone Gray 2002

'83 blue R80RT, '83 red R80RT,

'16 Alpine White Xdrive 328d Touring

BMW2002FAQ #502

On 11/5/2016 at 3:42 AM, jgerock said:

We are here to spend your money...

oh, that's perfect... Ray has perfected the art of scope-creep, I'm glad to see he won't be alone in this.

No idea it that's a Silicone Garage radiator... sure would be great if it turns out to be one. I have other pictures of the engine bay and there is a label, but I can't make it out.  It does appear to be 3 row and not stock.  This car was "restored" in '87-'89 in the Berkley area and there is a stack of receipts, Polaroids, and paperwork with the car... Once it arrives I'll have a chance to pour over the old docs and build the history of the car.  

It will be here over the Thanksgiving holidays, the plan is to spend those days off tuning it up, changing all the fluids, adjusting the brakes, and generally, going over every inch of it with a camera and such, making notes of what all I can see that needs to be redone/repaired.  Gent I bought it from has been a BMW mechanic in ABQ since the late 70s, he got the car from the folks who had moved from Berkley to ABQ.  Says he rarely ran it since Feb, 2009.  From the looks of the engine, I believe that... the engine is very, very clean.  Unfortunately, it's been parked out in the NM sun for a long time and the clear coat is completely wasted... I'll go back with single stage, anyways.  

Should be fun.

Ed

Dual fuel filters!

Is there a clamp missing on the pressure side? I like clamps everywhere, regardless...

Awaiting driving impressions. It looks well-cared for indeed!

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Under hood is very clean but...Re-plumbing fuel lines is on the list. It has an electric fuel pump, but they have it plumbed thru the Pierburg... Old and new lines, two filters, missing clamps.... Ugly. 

I have a fuel fuel pressure regulator to install as well. 

Thanks for for looking for that airbox, Ken. I don't "need" it, but everyone knows I am a parts hoarder...Fortunately I have new rubber boots for the airbox in the stash. 

Here's a better engine pic. One air horn off as he was installing a battery. Solexes are very clean. 

image.jpeg

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

Post Thanksgiving Update:

The project hit a speed bump right out of the box.  Nephew Tim went to load the car in ABQ and the key would not turn the ignition.  Lock cylinder was completely jammed.  He had started it just two days before... Thankfully, they were able to push it onto the trailer and get it to our family place, where we spent the holiday week.  We got it shoved off into our little work barn where I spent the afternoon drilling out the ignition lock cylinder pin and removing the cylinder.  Wasn't too bad, thanks to the FAQ search and Mike Self's Roundel write-up. Thanks Mike! I was then able to unlock the steering and start the engine.  

drilled ignition.jpg

I spent the week working on it and getting to know the car.  First evening around the fireplace, I went through all the receipts that came with the car...dating back to 1984 where it resided in Berkeley. Very first receipt showed that Hardy&Beck rebuilt the engine; but I emailed H&B looking for any specs they may have for a "528-4" cam grind.  Mr Hardy wrote me back saying that they had no records of the owner and that; though the receipt was their form, it was not filled out properly to how they would have done it.  Also the machinist's name was on the receipt.  Mr. Hardy knew the name and said that guy had worked at H&B for a couple of years before starting his own machine shop.  (edit... legendary Dave Cruse built the engine) Well, the engine seems to run nicely and with less than 20,000 miles on it, I'm not about to tear into it.  I'll put a caliper on the cam and see what the lift is, anyways.

Second nice surprise was the receipt from Fechner who rebuilt the suspension and brakes...they installed a Quick Ratio steering box B).  I confirmed the red box has a 177 suffix. Cha Ching.

QR steering box.jpg

I pulled the valve cover to adjust the valves and they were spot-on 0.007.  Unfortunately, there's old sludgey oil buildup in the top end. I think after running it hard with proper oil and changing it frequently, this will clean up....it's pretty soft stuff. I went to mark TDC on the flywheel and crank pulley...Interesting to note, that there is no timing view-port on the top of the bellhousing; only a mark on the crank pulley with a pointer. I removed the platinum plugs the PO had installed and put in a new set of NGK BP5ES, gapped to 0.34.  The dizzy was very sloppy, but I had a known-good unit with a Hot Spark ignitor and swapped it out.  Cranked it up and set timing to 19.5 degrees at 1000 rpm (within Ti specs in the Haynes manual.)  I tweaked the idle screws a bit, then sync'd the Solexes and re-tweaked the idle screws.  Purrs like a kitten at 850-900 rpm.  Carbs need to be rebuilt, though.  Accelerator pump diaphragms are shot.  I didn't get around to removing the electric fuel pump, but did get an old 90 degree Pierburg rebuilt and only need to install it and clean up this fuel line situation.

clean engine.jpg

I repacked front bearings and checked the rest of the brake system.  Needs new rear cylinders and soft lines (driver's rear would not bleed).  Friction surfaces look brand new. Brake master is leaking at the booster and I need to address that before it destroys the Tii-style booster.  Front calipers are not Tii, but single line, two piston units. Rotors look like Tii but notes on receipts say that Tii rotors did not fit?  Rears appear to be similar to 320i, 250mm pieces.  I changed the fluids in the Getrag and differential.  Guibo and center bearing look new. Suspension rubber has dried out and could be something that starts crumbling after I drive it for a while... we'll see.  Lower strut bolts were not safety wired, but tight.  No sway bars on the car.... rear mounts are bent from someone using them as jacking points, but I think I can straighten them out.  Front uses an '02 bar, the rear is an e9 bar.  Add that to the list...

Mechanically, the car is very good.  I don't think the rust will be a significant issue.  Interior and paint will be redone for sure.  Overall I'm very excited about it.  It's way better than I expected.  Papa is very happy about his new church car :)

Papa's Church Car.jpg

Barn pic.jpgranch pic.jpg

Pretty awesome little car.

Ed

Edited by zinz