• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Texting and driving leads to this

arminyack

I was stopped at a red light yesterday afternoon. The light turned green...but a pedestrian was crossing, and the car in front of me had to wait for him to get out of the way....but that didn't stop the car behind me from going. I looked in my rear view mirror just prior to the light turning green, and saw the guys head was down...and I could tell he was texting away.

Results below. He had no insurance. Looks pretty fixable to me...but what do I know about body work.

20161025_165414_zpsvi1dmdwm.jpg

20161025_165419_zpsy4k2rr3x.jpg

I'm sorry to see this and hope you are OK.. It is certainly repairable as I've experienced similar damage. Texting and phone use while driving is drunk driving and it is getting out of hand. I see people weaving and swerving off the shoulders on interstates almost daily and it makes me really defensive now just to make a pass. Can you take him to small claims court? Did he get a ticket? At least the red center lens looks OK...... 

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

Man that sucks, hope you do fix it and get another Nixon•Agnew bumper sticker. Had my 2004 X3 6-speed totaled by a texting driver, hit me head on.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

1 hour ago, arminyack said:

I was stopped at a red light yesterday afternoon. The light turned green...but a pedestrian was crossing, and the car in front of me had to wait for him to get out of the way....but that didn't stop the car behind me from going. I looked in my rear view mirror just prior to the light turning green, and saw the guys head was down...and I could tell he was texting away.

Results below. He had no insurance.

20161025_165414_zpsvi1dmdwm.jpg

Maybe the driver was texting for insurance quotes or is a big Humphrey McGovern fan?

Sadly, many of us have experienced this situation and even many years after the fact, it is still hard to swallow.  I agree that it is fixable.

Less damage with the big bumpers?  Doubtful.  IMHO.

Best of luck.

Sorry to hear. TOTALLY fixable. In fact find an old school guy to pull it out and pound the metal. It'll be straight as new and hard to tell anything ever happened. The bad part is it may not be cheap to do. A few thousand easily. It's all labor really. And maybe lots to get it right. Hope it's not too long of a process and you are back to being complete soon!

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Well yes that will work as well. They can do wonders!  With what you get paid from your insurance for that will do a complete exterior resto in TJ. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Sorry for your mishap--I'm sure you're less than happy!  I know I would be--in fact I would have probably taken the texter's phone in hand and made sure it would never receive or send another text--just trying to protect the owner from himself, ya know!

It never ceases to amaze me that the round taillight housings are stronger than the car's sheet metal.  I've seen that happen over and over again!

cheers, and keep us posted on the fix.  At least that black plate can be straightened out.

mike

PS--hope the cops ticketed the hitting driver for no insurance as well as distracted driving and causing an accident.  If that were Texas, they would have yanked his/her license plates and driver's license until he/she paid for your damage.

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, mike said:

PS--hope the cops ticketed the hitting driver for no insurance as well as distracted driving and causing an accident.  If that were Texas, they would have yanked his/her license plates and driver's license until he/she paid for your damage.

That is a bummer, guessing it happens a lot unfortunately, I would say that a good solid 6/10 cars I see on my occasional commute home are looking at their phone (email or text) or texting, based on my observations, maybe just a good day (or bad day as it may be) for spotting textrs.

Sadly we don't have laws like that here in California, the Kate Steinle case would be the ultimate illustration of how effed up things are here.  My sons were rear ended (hard) coming home from school, the driver that caused the accident didn't have a drivers license ..... but did have insurance.  Go figure.  Neither were hurt fortunately and we got $6k for an Audi we paid $4k for so it could have been worse.  Good luck fixin your ride.

This is a perfect example of why you pay a little extra for uninsured motorist coverage.  My former 74 2002 was rear ended on the San Bernardino freeway (I-10) in So Cal and declared totaled by my insurance company. The guy who hit me had an expired license and cancelled his insurance on a one year old truck because he couldn't afford the insurance, go figure.  My insurance company (USAA) paid me off and then went after the guy who hit me in court.  I bought the 02 back for salvage value which was cheap in the 90 (about $200). I got the 02  fixed and drove it for several more years. After any accident, get your cell phone out and start taking pictures.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner