• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello! i just got my 1976 2002 about 2 weeks ago. And i,m not exactly an expert... haha. But I've been looking over the engine, electronics etc.. familiarizing myself with the things i do know about the car.. But mainly i have been trying to figure out what it needs to pass smog so i can register it. there are a few things that I believe are missing or just do not know what they are all together. Hoping to find some help.

Thanks, Ronnie

1 hour ago, RogueDriver said:

... and 3 is an oil catch can.

This comes off the valve cover, right? Oil catch can, it used to go into the air cleaner. Empty it occasionally. 

No idea what 1 and 2 are.

1976 02 in Granatrot Met. m42, 5sp. - Greta

okay i think i solved it. So the carburetor doesn't have the original air cleaner on it. so my guess is that the oil catch pan was bipassed and closed off. and the the canister is maybe some sort of breather thing, its attached to the valve cover...

1 hour ago, ronniebeck said:

1 and 2 are supposed to be a picture of the same thing.. i do know that 3 is aftermarket, maybe someone will know what is haha.

Thanks, Ronnie

Photos 1 and 2 are of a diverter valve, (a.k.a., bypass or gulp valve) missing at least one hose.  This is a component on all air pump equipped '02's: it determines, based on engine vacuum, when the air pump will be (a.) pumping air into the exhaust manifold; or (b.) diverting that air into the atmosphere (e.g., when you suddenly let off on the accelerator).  One hose from the diverter valve runs to a fitting on the nose of the exhaust manifold, around the front of the head (and through a one-way valve on its way to the exhaust manifold).

There are multiple threads on smogging '76 '02's in California.  I believe you must (1.) have all the original emissions equipment; and (2.) pass an actual emissions test.  There are two U.S. versions of 1976 '02's: a California-only version (with thermal reactor exhaust manifold in addition to the air pump system and an E12 head) and a 49-state version (without a thermal reactor exhaust manifold but with the air pump system and an E21 head).  Although I've never gotten anyone to answer whether both versions are today permissible in California, I suspect both versions might be (even though you could NOT register a '76 49-state version in California when the cars were new).

The lack of an original air filter housing screams "The original Solex 2-bbl carb has been replaced with a Weber carb."  There is a version of the aftermarket Weber 32/36 that was certified by the C.A.R.B.  Has your car passed California emissions tests in recent years?

Good luck.  It seems to be a pain, but do-able!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Ronnie, looks like lots of emissions equipment partially disabled or removed. You should go through a fully remove all emissions equipment and simplify the entire engine bay (Assuming you are in any state except California)

20120922_165337.jpg

20121015_180444.jpg

P_20151003_065031_HDR.jpg

27yyd95.jpg

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

6 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

Ronnie, looks like lots of emissions equipment partially disabled or removed. You should go through a fully remove all emissions equipment and simplify the entire engine bay (Assuming you are in any state except California)

20120922_165337.jpg

20121015_180444.jpg

P_20151003_065031_HDR.jpg

27yyd95.jpg

Steven,

My impression from the initial post is that Ronnie is gearing up specifically for CA emissions.

I hope I'm wrong!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Although I've never gotten anyone to answer whether both versions are today permissible in California, I suspect both versions might be (even though you could NOT register a '76 49-state version in California when the cars were new).

Steve:

Both versions are permissible in CA today.  I have seen several 49 State 1976 cars registered in CA that are required to pass smog every 2 years.  As long as your sticker matches the installed components, (visual inspection), and the numbers at idle and running pass the emissions test, you are good to go.  Ronnie is missing the hose that runs to the smog pump, hopefully the smog pump is still there and operational as well as the 4 valves on the firewall.  These parts are getting harder to find.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

16 hours ago, ronniebeck said:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billCompareClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB1239 so this saying, basically, every two years my car needs to get a smog check to be registered... This is easily bypassed if you know the right smog guy? :lol: 

Welcome to 1976 BMW 2002 ownership in California.  Every 2 years you will need a smog check for your 1976 and newer cars unless pending legislation pushes the cutoff date forward.  Finding a "friendly" smog shop in your area is a possibility, (I would check some of the hot rod or tuner forums), but they aren't going to commit fraud and risk losing their license.  In some cases, the "friendly" independent shops I have dealt with would cut me some slack on the visual inspection (not having a stock air cleaner and summer box connection), while others are extremely diligent that everything needs to be correct before the sniff test.  Now that these tests are subject to an idle test and a dyno test for emissions, they are much harder to pass.

If I were in your shoes, I would hook up your existing smog setup, (replace the smog pump to gulp valve hose), confirm that all the valves on the firewall were hooked up according to the emission diagram, replace the spark plugs, set the dwell and timing, lean out the carb and try to pass.  If you pass, you are home free, if you don't, you will need to re-evaluate your situation and decide to fix the issues or punt.

IMHO,

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)