• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Street Rebuild

silasmoon

I recently did a dry leak-down and a compression test, and while compression was good I had poor leak down numbers with a few cylinders at 40%. So I am looking to rebuild the engine, spruce up the suspension and make sure the brakes are strong. 

Current Setup:

• Tired, de-smogged, 1976 stock M10
  • Smog exhaust header
  • Stock intake
  • 32/36 with sync-link
  • Stock 4-Spd
  • 100% Street
    • 91 Octane Gas
    • Weekend Warrior and Road Trip car
    • Rarely exceed 6,000 rpms / Shift around 4,800 rpms 

Goals for Rebuild:

• Better acceleration and torque in the 1k - 5k range
    • Lots of hill climbing in San Francisco!
    • Pull around cars on the freeway at 75 mph
    • Hoping for ~ 120hp
  • Reliable
    • Easy to maintain and troubleshoot - no garage :(
    • Stop burning oil
  • Drivable
    • Good idle / Handles Stop and Go
    • Gas mileage can be mediocre
  • Not too custom
    • Would like to keep parts in the realm of 2002s (i.e. no S14 crank)
    • Would like to minimize machine work i.e. no port & polish, no decking, etc. as it doesn't seem necessary for my needs

Rebuild Parts List

• 292 Schrick Cam
  • 38/38 with electric choke
  • Canon Intake Manifold
  • Tii exhaust manifold
  • Cast Pistons @ 9.5:1 compression
  • Tii Mechanical distributor
  • Heavy Duty Rockers / Springs
  • Valves / Rod & Main Bearings
  • Triple Core Radiator
  • HD Front and Rear Bilsteins w/ Springs
  • Rebuilt Brake Booster & New Pads 

I am having a local shop do the rebuild. I am hoping I can keep the stock brakes and just freshen them up. I don't run out of brakes ever in the current setup. I appreciate any more advice or considerations regarding other things to improve "While you're in there~"

Sounds good to me. Pretty much exactly what I am planning.  You need to think about an exhaust as well. The stock may be a bit stifling at that level. 

I wouldn't spend too much on valve train since you aren't really going to use anything but the stock rev limit. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

1 hour ago, silasmoon said:

• HD Front and Rear Bilsteins w/ Springs
  • Rebuilt Brake Booster & New Pads 

You have a really good plan that is well matched with your targets. There isn't much to add or change. I would include Pertronix in the dizzy and clutch refresh if there's need.

Worry about exhaust when you have a reason to do so.

The above mentioned things I would keep as a separate list from motor build and add a 5-speed there. Then prioritize according to your feelings. 

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

1 hour ago, silasmoon said:

Tii Mechanical distributor

a carbureted engine needs more advance than a tii

eVerybody loves their 123 distributor...

and since I am spending your money, I would suggest installing one of those. 

If you only want to spend half the money, I'd suggest having the stock vacuum advance distributor rebuilt/recurved for your new engine.

Tom

Couple notes for you:

-With the 38/38, a 292 would still be kosher in those situations.  I agree he could get away with a 284.  However, now that Schrick has outsourced cam production to the same manufacturer that does cams for a number of other aftermarket companies you are only paying for the name unfortunately.

-I've talked to a few people who are not in love with their 123distributor.  I would certainly look at the computronix if we are going there.  It is a simplified wasted-spark setup.

-Regarding the Canon Intake Manifold.  It was really designed to be a double-barrel option for early single-barrel-equipped M10's.  It does not really offer any performance advantages over the stock double-barrel intake and forces you to either retrofit an early water jacket or bypass it all together.  In short, hogging out the stock manifold may be worth considering.

-Connecting rod bolts.  If you are in there, I'd replace them (new ARP rod bolts are typically cheaper than OEM).

- Suspension: Make sure to inspect the stock bushings and replace at the same time.  Consider new urethane endlinks, or larger swaybars in general.

- Brakes: Inspect and/or replace flexible brake lines. 

Overall your list is really well thought out.  Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback thus far! 

• 123 vs. Computronix vs. IE Tii + Pertronix
    • Current setup is an old vacuum advance dizzy (0231170164) with a Petronix installed.
    • How much of a gain would the Tii distributor be? I might have mine rebuilt after the rebuild instead. 
    • Ideally I want to keep this car as mechanical as possible.
    • The 123 looks very configurable, and perhaps I will tackle it later, but using a piece of software for a 2002 seems to go against why I enjoy it. 

• 292 Cam
    • Nice to know schrick is just a brand name now. Might go with the IE instead.
    • The comment about hill starting freaks me out. The hills here are so aggressive I often use my emergency-brake to hold the car while in stop-and-go.

• Intake Manifold
    • Probably will just hog out the hole then for better flow on a 38/38 vs. getting a new one

• Carbs
    • I had considered dual 40's, but they seem to cost twice as much, be significantly more mechanically complex and have less tuning information available

1 hour ago, AceAndrew said:

-I've talked to a few people who are not in love with their 123distributor.  

WHAT?!

I don't believe  you ; )

2 minutes ago, silasmoon said:

123 vs. Computronix vs. IE Tii + Pertronix

• Current setup is an old vacuum advance dizzy (0231170164) with a Petronix installed.
  • How much of a gain would the Tii distributor be? I might have mine rebuilt after the rebuild instead. 
  • The 123 looks very configurable, and perhaps I will tackle it later, but using a piece of software for a 2002 seems to go against why I enjoy it. 

I have the #164 in my '76 as well.  My vote would be for having it rebuilt and keeping it, because I share your opinion about installing computerized gadgets in a 2002.  It is not that there is anything wrong with that, but I enjoy these cars for their lack of such things.

The tii distributor is NOT an upgrade for a carbureted engine... aside from the fact that it is new and therefore, not worn out yet.  People have  been happy with Advanced Distributors' services, when having theirs rebuilt.  I don't think he will work on the vacuum side of things though.  

This is one of my favOrite topics, but I think I have added enough : )  

If you'd like to read more, search away!  There is tons and tons and tons and tons of information on this very topic.

Tom

31 minutes ago, silasmoon said:

Thanks for the feedback thus far! 

• 123 vs. Computronix vs. IE Tii + Pertronix

• 292 Cam
    • Nice to know schrick is just a brand name now. Might go with the IE instead.
    • The comment about hill starting freaks me out. The hills here are so aggressive I often use my emergency-brake to hold the car while in stop-and-go.

• Intake Manifold
    • Probably will just hog out the hole then for better flow on a 38/38 vs. getting a new one

• Carbs
    • I had considered dual 40's, but they seem to cost twice as much, be significantly more mechanically complex and have less tuning information available

My suggestion on the sidedraft was a single 45mm sidedraft on the linx intake. FAQ member selling on the board now for cheap. You cant get much simpler than that!

• How much of a gain would the Tii distributor be?

I would agree with Tom that it would be a significant negative gain, if yours is not worn out and the advance still works.

The tii injection system does something very good to gasoline that makes it burn easier.  Carbs like the extra advance at small throttle openings that the vacuum diaphragm gives...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

So, perhaps I missed it somewhere. But, if your car is a 1976, and you live in Kalifornia, how do you plan to pass smog with all the motor changes? If this is a 76 motor in an earlier year car, well then you should be good to go.

Edited by Adamha

1972 Tii

1997 Land Rover Defender LE #127