• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help - Fitment issues IE turbo style airdam

LLCoolJQ

i am having fitment issues on the IE turbo style air dam at both ends of it left and right most as there is a 1/4" gap between the IE flares. On their website, they say i have to trim part of the flares to butt against the air dam. However, test fitting the air dam still leaves me with a 1/4" gap on both ends even if I trim the IE flares.

anybody had the same issue?

74' 2002 (Running Project)

86' 911 (Weekend Warrior)

Any luck finding info or a DIY on this? I'm having the same issue.

I've got it taped up to test fit and no matter how I position it, it'll have to buy e trimmed.

And even then there will be a good size gap.

Currently scouring the Internet for pictures on these installed for comparison. 

Exactly the same issue. Even if i mock it up and simulate trimming the flares as what was suggested on the IE website, the flares couldnt meet with the airdam without a small sized gap. If i center the airdam, the rightmost end has slight gap better than the leftend most. Even if i adjust the height of the airdam either to cover the bumper holes, put it half way of the holes or beneath the bumper holes.  All have the same results on fitting rear most ends to meet with the flares.

When did you purchase yours? I got mine 3 weeks ago. I painted it a few days ago and when we were about to install it. This issue came out. We'll take photo of the mock up and gaps

IMG-20161008-WA0003.jpg

Edited by LLCoolJQ

With all due respect,  I'm assuming bodywork is not your forte.  There is no honor lost if you take it to a body shop, they should be able to rock it for you.  I've seen many of this exact setup work great many times.  My best guess is that your flare mounting is a bit off.  Especially if you are seeing differences from side to side  You can use a heat gun and some gentle work the ABS as you need or reconfigure your mounting as needed.  

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=bmw+2002+turbo+flare+install+site:www.bmw2002faq.com

hi andrew,  based from other photos you are right. The front flares might be slightly low and we'll adjust accordingly. Noticed measurement from top most arch of the flares on the photos ive seen are closer to the chrome trimmings as opposed to about 1.5" on mine. Thanks

For my fitment, I raised my fender flares as high and close to the belt line trim as possible then fit the airdam.  Your attached photo does look like they are a bit low.  The ends of the airdam did take some massaging to match the flares well.  You will also need to play with the level of the airdam to make sure it doesn't "droop" down causing more alignment issues.