• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible Solution for Polishing Anodized Aluminum Trim

Colin

If he really is using that much force it sounds like they're polishing the anodizing right off (?) Especially if hes saying it needs to be waxed ever 3 months. I did this for a bunch of my parts with a buffing wheel.

If you're fine with removing the trim, The easier thing would be to bright dip the parts and then buff. Or spend $4 on rubbing compound and put it on a wheel.

5% Caustic Soda hot water bath for 15-30 minutes will strip the anodized coat, buff it with clay bar or Mother's and then clear coat, or wax it periodically.  You can sand off the anodized layer, but you will spend hours sanding out the scratch marks with progressively finer grades of sand paper.

I did a write-up of how I did it on my blog.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

If you want to remove anodizing so that you can polish aluminum.............Easy Off Oven Cleaner works awesome.

Spray it on,wait 10 minutes rinse it off with warm water,then, polish and wax.Try it on an old piece,you'll be amazed how well it works.  dq

The better way is to deanodize them in a galvanize shop, polish and anodize again, here is what i posted in another thread (about repairing front grill) yesterday:

You can fix it. It will take you time, but here is how you have to do it. This can be used with repairing another aluminium trim that is anodized like the front grills. I have contacted a galvanize shop to ask them if they can anodize my aluminium trim after polishing. They told me that i have to take the parts to them and they have to DEanodize them. If the aluminium detail was not deanodized and after that you anodize it for second time (it doesn't matter that you have sanded it and polished it) the finish will be on spots and matte. Somehow the anodizing changes the hole metal structure or something like that. So deanodize them, weld the missing piece, polish and anodize again. The thickness of the anodizing will affect on the finish. If it's more it will get matte. If it's less it will be shiny. 

You have to decide if it worth it. Because:

- You will waste time

- You can't be sure that you will chose the right anodize thickness which will give you the same finish as the original. (I guess that if you don't chose the right thickness you can deanodize again and try with another thickness until you get it?)

- If you do this your repaired grill will be 99,9% different from the other grills and you will have to do them to - deanodizing, polishing, anodize again.

Or you can wait for a bargain second hand good one and replace it.

This may take more time, but you will probably get the OEM detail finish and you will not treat the trim with waxes and other stuff.

07/73 BMW 2002tii Golf, powered Sunroof

• 3 months later...

Anyone try the whitening toothpaste (that contains peroxide and baking soda) idea? I've heard a few people mention it, and while it won't remove all imperfections, it sounds like it will improve the grade of said pieces by about a point? I'm about to try it, but wanted to know what people's results have actually been, if indeed anyone here has tried it.

Anyone?

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams