• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear end sagging

02dag

I have always had the problem with my car that the rear end is sagging. I have tried different rubber insert in the springs without success. I have also tried different springs too.

None of the solutions have been any good.

The problem reached a climax here the other day, when going hunting, I decided to drive the old lady. Circumstances happened so that in the end two of my buddies had to ride along with me on the way home. With full gear and equipment for three guys this wasn't fun with my e21 et13 bbs wheels.

Anyone out there with a suggestion for new springs that hold up without welding in some metal bars?

c.d. posted lists of the different stock spring rates, perhaps you could find a stiffer set of oem springs?

stock / oem 02 suspension coil spring colour codes and free length (not mounted length);

REAR SUSP SPRINGS

Green 776-803 lbs

White 750-776 lbs

Red 725-750 lbs

wire thickness 12.3mm (.049")free length unmounted 334.6 (13.17")

Heavy duty conversion ( for trailer towing )

grey/green 769-789 lbs

grey/white 730-769 lbs

grey/red 710-730 lbs

wire thickness 13.2mm (.052") free length of unmounted 324.2mm (12.76")

Tip: change your wheels or live with it. They are just the wrong offset and it doesn't take much flex in the suspension before that is obvious. To dial that out with a higher spring rate just means extremely hard suspension. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

9 hours ago, 02dag said:

I have always had the problem with my car that the rear end is sagging. I have tried different rubber insert in the springs without success.

Anyone out there with a suggestion for new springs that hold up without welding in some metal bars?

Are you attempting to cure wheel-tire-body interference or low rear end ride height - or both?  Simeon's point about wheel offset deals more with interference than mere "sagging."  Often the sagging or motor boat stance can be corrected by stiff rubber spacers pictured below.  I am assuming that was what you mean by "rubber inserts."  Aluminum spacers between the front struts and the fender often found on North American models (but yes on a few Euro models too) could also be used to increase rear ride height.Spacers  I am aware of another 02'er who traded his rear Koni's for two KYB gas shocks and the car gained 2cm of height.  (Not sure how the ride quality was affected though.)

You may find this "stance" thread of interest.  COOP stands tall

IMG_0548.jpg&key=fb8b125da9ac8929724b9ac 

To dial that out with a higher spring rate just means extremely hard suspension. 

And an increasingly tail- happy car.

To get Jenn's car level, we made up some spacers to put under (actually, over) the springs.

That doesn't change the rate, just raises the car...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Have you checked your rear crossmember for structural integrity?  If you live where a lot of salt is used on the roads (or your car was there at one time) the rear subframes do rust out.  We've had several instances of rear subframe collapse--one while the car was being driven, and mine, fortunately while the car was in the garage.  It doesn't have to actually break to cause sagging; just bending as the metal weakens will lower the car's rear end.

Worth checking unless you're in the desert and know the car's history...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks for many answers. In fact I want to cure both wheel interference and rear sagging. I have to use my BBS wheels due to the fact that I have converted the rear breaks to discs. the calipers doesnt fit under other wheels unless I go for 15 inch wheels. i dont want that just yet. i will buy completely new rubber inserts since the ones I have can be 47 years old.  I have the motor boat stance now although I have cut the front springs 1 turn. I have another 1/2 or 3/4 left before the spring will fall out and the road worthyness inspection will fail. I will do that also.

I cant really figure out if the moog cc827 are a common name for many products in many different shape and sizes or if it means one type of spring that is an almost exact match to the 02s springs. Are they stiffer?