• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here pick up that Sacramento $2300 2002ti today?

VadGTI

Had a friend ready to go grab it for me when the ad went down after being live for about 12 hours. Just wondering if anyone here picked it up and if it was as rust-free as claimed (just to add to my missing-out misery)? [emoji2]

Also, was it a real ti?

7 hours ago, VadGTI said:

Also, was it a real ti?

I didn't even see the ad but I'd still say the odds were against it being a real ti!  Given that the ti was never Federalized and sold in the U.S., the number of faux ti's far outstrips the number of bona fide ti's that have eventually made their way to the U.S.  Many of the faux ti's are simply '02's with dual sidedraft carbs.  Some of them are simply '02's with a ti badge!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I saw the ad and a friend was going to go look at it within a few hours of it being posted and but he ended up not making it that day.  He and I live within 20 minutes of the car but I don't have the space and he didn't have the time.  Ad was pulled fairly quickly, like most "good deals".  I doubt it was a ti, especially since they didn't show the engine or VIN.  If they knew it was a ti they would show more proof and know it would be worth more.

Interesting car--and the pictures confirm some things we've been discussing.  It's an early "modell 71" with a 257xxxx VIN--1194 to be exact--and it still has the "silver dollar" instruments and no lower side molding of the earlier (166/167xxxx) cars.  Short console too (note the round shift boot), and early style knobs on the dash.  

"Conventional wisdom" indicated that all the modell 71 changes began with 2570001, but apparently not, as it's unlikely that previous owners changed the instrument cluster, removed the side molding and changed the shift boot. 

Anyone else on the FAQ have a very low 257xxxx VIN car?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, mike said:

Interesting car--and the pictures confirm some things we've been discussing.  It's an early "modell 71" with a 257xxxx VIN--1194 to be exact--and it still has the "silver dollar" instruments and no lower side molding of the earlier (166/167xxxx) cars.  Short console too (note the round shift boot), and early style knobs on the dash.  

"Conventional wisdom" indicated that all the modell 71 changes began with 2570001, but apparently not, as it's unlikely that previous owners changed the instrument cluster, removed the side molding and changed the shift boot. 

Anyone else on the FAQ have a very low 257xxxx VIN car?

mike

Mike,

02Les's info shows the U.S. Modell 71 begins with VIN 2572070 in April 1971.  Thus, 2570001 (mid-January 1971) through 2572069 (April 1971) have no knee trim, short-tailed bumpers, short consoles, silver-dollar instruments, etc.  I haven't yet seen a convincing example that disproves Les's contention.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Just wondering on what basis was that car advertised as a ti?

Is there ti badge at the back and the seller had no idea what it means. Or was it only to draw attention because if ti wasn't mentioned nobody would have taken a second look at the ad. 

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

Just wondering on what basis was that car advertised as a ti?

Is there ti badge at the back and the seller had no idea what it means. Or was it only to draw attention because if ti wasn't mentioned nobody would have taken a second look at the ad. 

+1

I wondered the same thing.  At best it has a ti badge.  But I'm not counting on that!

Regards,

Steve

22 minutes ago, Coastalcrush408 said:

The owner thought that the head stamped 121TI meant TI car

Cool.  We've got a lot of those ti's!

Thanks for filling us in.

Regards,

Steve

59 minutes ago, nbcbird said:

My January '71 is numbered 2570156.

I believe the point of Mike S. asking for early 257xxxx cars was not simply to collect VIN's but to test the theory that cars from 2570001 through 2572069 were NOT Modell 71 cars.  In other words, if they were NOT Modell 71 cars, we would expect these cars to have come from the factory with "silver-dollar" instruments, short consoles, short-tail rear bumpers, front and rear bumpers without horizontal rub strips, no knee trim, etc.  Does your VIN 2570156 meet that description?  Whether or not it does, are there signs that your car has been altered, e.g., it has fender flares, an all-new interior, or some other symptoms of extensive work?  We realize it is not uncommon for owners to remove knee trim and side markers to give their car a more retro and/or Euro appearance, but we're simply trying to get an accurate picture of this group of cars (2570001 through 2572069).

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

BMW 2002ti #1684867 is available as a shell here in the Bay Area.

I have a couple of pictures and contact information if you are interested.

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com